Chapter 37 - The Rebels

Jacob was just getting the hang of co-piloting as they prepped to make the jump into hyperspace. Of course, he didn't get such and experience because Richard burst onto the bridge, commanding them to stop. Jacob and Mal turned in their chairs to see what was happening.

"We need to go back," he said, holding up the painted helmet. Mal's confusion only grew, but Jacob understood perfectly. He explained to Mal that this wasn't a mercenary or smuggler ship. It was the ship of a rebel group, and they needed to go back, or they were doomed. Mal nodded understanding, and Jacob moved and clicked on their comms.

"Spectre team, do you copy? This is the Ghost. Spectre team, do you copy?" he said into the radio. He listened for a moment, hearing only static. Finally, a rough voice came through the speaker.

"Who is this? Why did you contact us?" responded a rough and commanding male voice. Kanan Jarrus, Spectre-1, had just answered his call.

"Spectre-1, we have accidentally commandeered your vessel, believing it to be a mercenary vehicle. We are en route to pick you up at the original airlock it was docked at. Sorry for the inconvenience, we'll see you soon. Traveler-2 out," Jacob responded.

Kanan said nothing more, but another quickly came over the same channel. This time, it was Bridger himself, Spectre-6, speaking.

"Inconvenience!? Pick us up in the main hangar if you are going to do anything!" Jacob smirked as he realized he had made a bad first impression on Ezra. He would have to remedy that.

"And send the Phantom to pick up the rest of us at that airlock," another voice crackled. This time it was Spectre-2, Hera Syndulla, that was speaking. She was clearly ticked off about having her ship stolen, but seemed to understand their reasons. The only problem was, the only person that knew how to fly on the ship was Mal.

"We only have one pilot aboard. Is there a possibility that we can get one group first?" Jacob responded.

"We haven't been spotted yet. Pick up at the hangar first. Have Ezra take the phantom from there," Hera commanded. Mal Set course for the hangar, and Jacob turned to Richard.

"Get Calen into one of the guns, then do so yourself. I have a bad feeling about this," he said, smugly. He had always wanted to say that, ironically. He turned back to his co-piloting job as they neared the hangar they had seen minutes earlier. Jacob did feel a little bad for throwing Calen into all of this with even less explanation than the others, but he seemed to be doing fine, though he hadn't manifested any talent that they knew of yet. He spotted three figures entering the hangar as they landed, surprisingly undetected. The three phoenix members were quickly followed by blaster fire, as they had evidently attracted the attention of the troopers in the destroyer. He recognized them as Kanan Jarrus, Ezra Bridger, and Sabine Wren.

He found himself going over everything he knew about them in his head. Kanan had been a jedi padawan when the Empire rose by committing genocide against the jedi. He went into hiding until he met Hera. He then led a rebel cell on Lothal, where the team met Ezra. Ezra had street urchin origins and was also force sensitive, and currently being trained by Kanan. Ezra had his encounters with the dark side, and Kanan had been blinded by a sith, dark force users, named Maul. The last one, Sabine Wren was a complicated one. She was a Mandalorian from house Wren. She dropped out of the imperial academy, was an artist who preferred graffiti, and owner of the Darksaber. He recalled this last detail only after she pulled out her blade and slashed the control panel to the door, shutting it behind them. Cat lowered the entrance ramp as they got closer to the three figures. Sabine used her jetpack to leap to the ramp, quickly followed by Ezra with a force enhanced jump, and finally Kanan leapt up behind them. Cat hit the ramp control pad, and the door closed. They were cleanly away so far.