Chapter 5 - The Journey Begins

He felt strange here. This was all too familiar, yet he couldn't quite place his finger on how it was. He had confronted the same official that Mal had not had such a great experience with, while trying to arrange a rescue. He had thrown the doors open and walked straight up to the foolish man.

"Were you the one who denied my friend help?" He yelled to the man, "Do you know what she has done for you now? When you denied her help, she found volunteers to help her. In her rescue attempt, she managed to reclaim Osgiliath for you!" Jacob had come straight from the gate to the man, so he still had his scars and dirt on his face. "I carried one of my best friends for miles because no help came for us, and I watched a person who I thought was a friend drive a dagger through the chest of a kind and loyal man. Now, would you say that you are to blame for all of that?" he finished. He turned to a soldier who was standing guard in the hall. "Who is this man's immediate superior?" he asked, with an edge to his tone.

"He reports directly to the king, um... sir. He's the steward," The soldier stuttered. Jacob smiled at the soldier to calm him. Then he turned directly to the man again.

"I wish to speak with him, when he is available." He said, sternly. Then, as he turned to leave the hall, a cloaked figure stood in the back of the room and shouted to him.

"Do not leave, young man," the cloaked man said, "The king has already heard your plea, and agrees with you." Turning to the steward, the man continued, "You should have helped them, Faramir. It was not within your right to deny them any aid." Jacob found it odd that this man, who looked to be a beggar was ordering around the steward of Gondor. The man turned to Jacob, and he could finally see him clearly. He was a bearded man, with long brown hair, but it was neatly combed and brushed, not what he would have expected.

"Who are you?" Jacob asked the man. He simply looked at the Jacob and smiled. Jacob looked around to see that everyone was kneeling even Faramir, which must have meant that the man was... Jacob finished his thought aloud, "Oh."

"Don't worry, it's good to not have everyone kneeling all the time," the king said. Jacob now understood the kings first statement. He was about to ask why the king of Gondor was walking around in clothes like he was wearing, but the king beat him to it, "I was a ranger until I accepted the crown. I still act like one sometimes." He answered to Jacob's thoughts. Jacob was impressed that he could read people that well. "Now, come and take a walk with me to Drinian's home," He continued.

They began to walk along the streets, as Jacob summarized the story of their adventures and what they believed they needed to do. The king listened intently and gave what advice he could to Jacob, and his main point was that they did need to follow the directions given to them by the vision, the origin of which neither of them was sure. When they reached the house, they ended their conversation, and each went to comfort someone different.

_________________

Cat hadn't mourned in the moment, but when she returned to Gondor and saw his wife standing in the door of their home, with his children gathered around her, Cat realized that they wouldn't be the only ones who would be mourning him. Drinian had been her friend, he had found her and given her shelter in her time of need, and she hadn't been able to stop Vince.

As she approached the door, Enma asked, "Where's Drinian? I thought he was going to return with you. Did he stay to fight?" Cat just looked up to Enma, a sad expression covering her face, and Enma knew what Cat couldn't say out loud, what she feared would happen one day.

"I'm so sorry, I couldn't..." she trailed off. Enma simply pulled her into a hug. They went in together, the children realizing what they were seeing. Their mother was going back inside, and their father never would. A few hours later, Jacob arrived with another man. The man claimed to be the king, and despite his rough clothes, Cat believed him. He had an air of authority around him, but a certain gentleness that he showed when comforting Enma and the children. What Cat really was wondering, was how a king could make time to simply come and comfort a family who had lost a member. He seemed to be pondering something himself, while assuring the children that they would be okay.