Chapter 27 - The Sentinel's Home

"Adrian?" Jacob found himself asking as he worked with him to try to uncover the identity of the mysterious pyromancer.

"Yeah? What's up, Radian?" Adrian answered, clearly not sure what was coming.

"We need to work on your Sentinel identity. He is supposed to be a hero like those in comics, no? Based on Rebel Z, if I remember correctly, the hero you created originally," Jacob started, "So what are you missing that so many heroes have in old comics?"

"I don't know what you are getting at. What am I missing?" Adrian answered, curious where Jacob was going with this.

"You need a base. I place where The Sentinel rests and recovers. Even if you almost never use it, it would at least lead people away from the conclusion that you're The Sentinel. They would think that was where he lives. It makes sense if you are basing The Sentinel off of a normal comic book character. What do you think?" Jacob explained. Adrian did have to admit that a secret base sounded like just the thing a superhero would have. His Dads had had their basement, which wasn't exactly something too huge. It wasn't a bad idea. Adrian told him that it might be a good idea and he was right it would be somewhat misleading if someone found it. He was pondering the idea when Radian turned back to his work.

Jacob was certain it was a great idea, but he wasn't certain Adrian would agree, much less Ruby or Oscar. Their two teams had been working together on the Pyromancer front, but he had to remember not to interfere too much. It was odd because this Pyromancer wasn't in any of the books. He a completely new enemy. An idea rose in Jacob's mind. In Middle Earth, their enemy had never been in a book. Ryan hadn't been a character, and if he was correct, he never even belonged in that world in the first place. Lyndsey obviously didn't belong at Hogwarts. She was his neighbor. There was little chance that this Pyromancer was just another undiscovered character. He was a traveler.

He stood suddenly and started typing in his message for the others to meet him as he ran. The idea seemed so clear now that he was certain it couldn't be false. The more he thought about it, the more it made sense. If he had recognized Mal and Cat, he must have been a traveler that they knew, but who it could be was a mystery. He waited in the lobby only moments before the others showed up. Cat and Mal stepped out of the elevator together. They stepped outside where Rose soon found them. They began to walk the streets of Gatlon City as Jacob explained his theory to the others.

They all knew he had to be right. They all came to the same screeching stop he had as to the identity of this mysterious traveler, until Rose pointed something out to them. Pyromancer knew them but not her. Anyone that knew both Mal and Cat would almost have to know Rose. That limited their options to either a mystery man, or three people. Jacob didn't want it to be true, but more than likely this Pyromancer was either Vince, Ryan, or Richard.

It wasn't Vince, since he had sworn to never travel again, and he might have recognized Rose. It could be Ryan, but he had most definitely died in Middle Earth, didn't he? But Richard wasn't like that, was he? He couldn't be. Jacob didn't want to face the truth but he knew it in his heart. The Pyromancer was Richard.

__________________

Cat was concerned that Richard might be defeating their efforts to keep this story from merging with others. It wouldn't be good if magic mixed with these super powers, or some other story, for that matter. They weren't even sure if their interference in stories was what caused worlds to merge. She glanced at her watch, noticing a message arriving in her inbox. She opened it, and began reading.

Team,

Our recent season of research and missions relating to the anarchists have been quite exhausting for us all, I'm sure. I was discussing this with my dads, and they suggested we simply take time to hang out and relax for once. I realize many of you are quite determined to find Pyromancer, but I think it would be a good idea to simply get some rest. So, I would like to invite you all to a dinner at my home, and just some time to hang out with each other. It would be a good break, and we really haven't gotten to know our newest recruits, other than when we were researching. Message me back if you guys can make it, look forward to seeing you there.