Chapter 4 - The First Battle

They had been expecting them. The orcs had been waiting for them, and specifically for them. Jacob wasn't sure how, but he knew they had been. Now they had been dragged and bound then forced to walk. Jacob opened his eyes, and he found that one of them simply couldn't, for it was swollen shut. He felt his muscles burning from the endless march, and the bruises and blisters that were now scattered across his body felt like pins being pressed slowly though his skin. Then one of the orcs called for their march to continue. He must have noticed that he was awake. He stood to walk again and looked to his right at Drinian and Ryan.

"Guys we're moving again," he called. Drinian had taken quite the beating, but Ryan was in really good shape. He had been taken with only a few scrapes and small injuries. Then he turned to his left and looked at Cat. She had taken the worst hit of them all, taking an orc's knife to her right leg. She had put up with it until now. He knelt in front of her and smiled.

"It's time to go, Cat," He said with a concerned tone to his voice, "Do you think you can walk?" He helped her to her feet, and she began to stagger along, with Jacob doing his best to help. With their hands bound in front of them there wasn't much he could do for her.

Cat laughed as she began to walk and said, "You aren't looking the greatest yourself, you know." They continued as far as they could, but soon Cat stumbled. "I can't keep this up. I can't walk anymore," She gasped, between ragged breaths. One of the orcs grabbed her bound hands and began to drag her. Enraged, Jacob let out a yell and kicked the orc in the chest.

"Do not touch her!" He roared. Lashing out at any orcs that came within range. "Cut these bonds and let me carry her, but not one of you will lay a hand on her!" He swore. One of the orcs drew his knife and approached slowly.

"You have a deal, young warrior," he said. Reaching forward he cut Jacob's bonds, and Jacob reached down and scooped up Cat in his arms.

"Don't worry, I won't let them hurt a friend. My bones can ache and my body scream, but I won't let them harm any one of us," He said, and then continued, speaking to the orc, "Now we can carry on. Thank you." The orc looked at him and turned and began to walk along with the others. He seemed wiser than the others. He was different.

_________________

Jacob had taken all the work on himself. He had lashed out and had been willing to attack a group of almost 30 orcs, just so they wouldn't harm her. She hadn't seen him do something so selfless as that before. It seemed odd that he had been so angry, but maybe it was just because he understood the orcs. She had to admit, it was impressive that he could keep up while carrying her.

"You didn't have to do that," she said, "but thank you, Jacob." He just smiled and looked ahead, the sweat dripping down his brow. She reached over to her shoulder and tore a piece of the cloth from the sleeves. She wiped his brow and said, "I'll do what I can for you."

"Thanks, but you don't need to. I know you'd save my life if you could." He said. He trudged on, and soon she fell asleep in his arms. She woke, to find herself in the ruins of a tower, with the noises of a battle all around her. "Hey, I'm glad to see you awake. I'm going to set you down now, okay?" Jacob was saying as her vision came into focus.

"What? Why?" Cat asked, confused. Why was he going to set her down?

"We're here, and so is Vince," He responded in a quiet voice. She looked around and saw him. He was standing in the corner with a smug look on his face.

"Well hello, friend... or is that only what he calls you?" Vince remarked, mocking them. Jacob looked like he wanted to strangle Vince at the moment, but he held back because she was still leaning on him.