20. Beaten In Lips.

It was Vic, eventually, who told us the story. He drove down the block and pulled into an alley before turning around and facing Jack and I. Kellin's eyes darted between us as Vic spoke, looking to see how we would react. It was obvious that, even though he hated our guts, he wanted to know how we would react to this.

"Kellin's had, a, um, tough childhood." He started.

"That doesn't make up for being an asshole!" I interrupted. The words flew from my mouth before I could think.

Vic sighed, shooting and agitated look in Kellin's direction. "You're right, it absolutely does not, but I think you guys deserve an explanation." I nodded curtly at Vic, gesturing for him to continue. His eyes never once met Kellin's as he explained everything to us. Jack's hand squeezed mine, and I wasn't sure which of us needed the support of physical sensation more.

"I'm not quite sure how to say this nicely, so I'm just going to say it. Kellin's been abused since he was very young, both physically and mentally, by his uncle. He's developed PTSD, depression, and ODD as a result, which has caused him to be quite the bully in the past. As the years went on and he found boyfriends, they were like replicas of his uncle. They...hurt him...a lot." The way Vic spoke was enough for Jack and I to put the pieces together. I could see the anger burning brighter in Vic's eyes, and for a minute I was scared of Vic and unable to tell who he was angrier with: his boyfriend or his boyfriend's exes.

While Vic was bubbling over with anger, Kellin's face was draining of all color. His hands alternate between clenching into fists and shaking horribly. A sweat was breaking out on his forehead, and I couldn't tell if he was crying or not. Without warning, his door flew open and his head dipped out of the car as he vomited again. Just like before, instantly, all of Vic's qualms were gone and he was back to the perfect boyfriend as he held back Kellin's hair and whispered in his ear. I unbuckled my seatbelt so I could curl up closer to Jack. Tonight had been exhausting for me, and I was ready for it to be over. "We'll go home soon, I promise." Jack mumbled as he pressed his lips to my forehead.

"Jack, in the pocket behind my seat is a pack of tissues. Can you hand them up here?" Jack did as he was told, and Vic used them to help clean up Kellin. Vic sighed, his demeanor sad and tired, contrary to how it was just mere seconds ago. "I'm taking you to the hospital, whether you like it or not. You shouldn't be throwing up this much blood - or any, for that matter. You can whine about it all you want, but that's not gonna change my mind." He said sternly. Kellin looked like he wanted to protest, but simply nodded tiredly. Vic took Kellin's face in his hands and his eyes softened. "I'm also going to call the police. I know you're scared they'll put you somewhere far away from here, and honestly, so am I. However, you're seventeen. You'll be out of the system in months, and I can't let you stay in that house. It's not safe. Don't think this is the end of this," He gestured to Jack and me. "But right now, keeping you safe is my first priority. We're going to talk about this later." Vic's voice held just the right amount of sternness to tell Kellin he was still majorly pissed off, but he enough cushion to comfort his lover.

"I-I understand." Kellin replied hoarsely.

Vic settled himself back in the driver's seat and buckled up. "Jack, I'll drop you and Alex off at my place so you can get your car. I'm sorry tonight didn't go...as planned."

Jack chuckled a little. "That's one way of putting it."

The ride back to Vic's was saturated with awkward, tense silence; Jack felt it as much as I did. I nervously tapped my fingers against his knee as I stayed against his warm body, which he bounced in time with my tapping. Up front, it was dead silent. Kellin seemed to be even terrified to move a muscle and Vic was rigid with frustration, his pale, almost translucent fingers gripping the steering wheel. I wanted to suggest turning on the radio to ease the suffocating silence, but I felt like one wrong word would set everyone in this car off in some way.