11. Room To Breathe.

Rian drove me to the hospital to fix my stitches, despite my arguing that I would be fine without them. As mad as he was, in the end, he agreed not to tell my parents when they got home. Even he knew that telling them would do more harm than good.

However, even though he wouldn't tell them, he became so much more protective of me for the rest of the time my parents were away. He slept in my room with me and made me check in with him between classes so I couldn't go to the bathroom and hurt myself. He texted me every half hour during classes we weren't in together and he never left me alone for more than five minutes. Jack and Vic weren't much better. Vic seemed to be just as attached to me as Rian, and Jack texted me all day and freaked out if I took more than ten minutes to respond. On my side, I felt a little overwhelmed and like this was a little much, but I could see how it made sense. They were trying to respect my wishes of keeping me out of the hospital but at the same time keep me safe. Don't get me wrong, I knew they were trying to the best of their ability, but I could feel myself getting more and more agitated as the day went on.

How are you doing right now? Jack asked me for the third time today while I was at lunch. Rian and Vic had already coaxed me into eating an apple, but after that I claimed my stomach hurt and they left me alone.

I feel like you guys are smothering me.

I'm sorry :( we just want to keep you safe.

I know, I know. I'm just not used to this much attention and tbh it's kind of really annoying.

I'll talk to Rian, see if I can get him to back off. Rian and Jack had traded numbers while they were in the hospital with me, and as far as I know, they've spent a lot of time talking to each other about me. Yet another thing to go on the list of Things They've Done To Annoy Me.

Cool. The warning bell rang, signaling us to head back to class, and I didn't talk to Jack for the rest of the school day.

~~~~~

While I was driving home with Rian from school, my right leg was bouncing and my fingers shaking. I wasn't sure if it was out of fear or nerves to see my parents. Rian told me they would be home when I got home from school, but I still wasn't prepared to face them yet. Being home with them would be like a bloody steak in a den full of sharks. They would probably make Rian leave, too, so there would be no buffer between us. Just my parents, their unsolicited thoughts, and me.

The car began to slow to a stop. Rian put the car into park on the side of the road and looked at me. "What's on your mind?"

I stared at my hands clasped in my lap. "I...home...parents..." I stuttered, the words getting lost somewhere between my brain and my tongue.

He sighed. "If I didn't have to leave you home alone with them, you know I wouldn't. I'm sorry, Alex." He reached he arm over to me and gave me a side hug, not knowing what else to do. "You know, I'm always just a phone call away. So is Vic. Give either of us a call or text, and we'll be there as soon as we can."

I rested my head back against the seat, closing my eyes and taking deep breaths. "Just drive. I want to get this over with sooner rather than later." To this, the only response he gave me was to start the car again and finish taking me home.

"Thanks, Ri." I whispered as he pulled up to my house.

"Of course." He replied just as quietly, as if we spoke any louder my parents would hear.

Rian stayed in the driveway as I walked up to my house and searched through my bag for my key. However, my mom opened the door before I could get it. She smiled and waved at Rian, making it obvious she wouldn't go inside with me until he left. Hesitantly, he pulled out and drove away, keeping his eyes on me more than on the road.