Chapter 1

Mitch POV

I was woken up suddenly by someone dropping a pile of books on my desk. I jump in shock and look up to see Mr Hoying, my music teacher, staring down at me.

"Am I boring you Mr Grassi?"

I shake my head.

"Well maybe you could try and pay more attention next time?"

I nod and look down. I can hear laughter behind me but I ignore it. It's just stupid boys. Stupid straight boys.

Mr Hoying can see the sniggering boys and looks at me with pity.

"See me at the end please Mitchell."

Great. Just what I needed. Pity from the hottest teacher alive. It's not just me that thinks that - he's the biggest topic for all the girls to rave about. Seriously, never let a hot 23 year old teacher teach 18 year olds. Especially not girls. But still me obviously. I want to be able to stare into his dreamy blue eyes with that manly stubble and his...

"Mitchell Grassi! Do I have to give you a detention?! For the last time, PAY ATTENTION!"

I internally cringe. Music is my favourite subject and NOT just because of the teacher. I love to sing but I would never join the choir or anything because, to be honest, I think that I'm picked on enough. Add singing like a girl with my eyes shut to the list and I might not live to the end of the year. Actually Kirstie would probably save me knowing her. She is over protective of me but I love her for that. Alone I am not particularly intimidating but at least with her I seem more of a threat. I laugh, imagining Kirstie and I fighting off the bullies like in some kind of superhero film.

"Do you wish to share that joke with the rest of us, Mitchell?"

Well done me.

"Ummm... No sir?"

"That's OK, you can tell me in detention. Tomorrow at 4pm in this room please. If you don't show up then I'll have to put you in isolation I'm afraid."

Then the bell went off and everyone scrambled to grab their bags and leave for lunch. I start to head out of the doorway surreptitiously but Mr Hoying isn't stupid.

"Mitchell, I would like a word please."

Here we go. I need to concentrate and not drool this time. But he's just so *sigh*.

He looks at me. Oh no. He's doing the whole 'why don't you tell me what you did wrong' thing. I always say the wrong thing and get myself in more trouble. Here we go.

"Sorry for not being completely engaged sir."

He smiles sadly.

"That's not what I want to talk to you about. That can be saved for detention tomorrow. I wanted to check you were doing OK."

How do you respond to that?

"Ummm... I'm fine sir. Thanks for checking up on me?"

He looks at me.

"All I'm saying is that if you need any support I'm here. if any of those boys give you any trouble, feel free to talk to me."

Oh.

"Thanks sir. Can I go now?"

"Yes of course. See you tomorrow!"

I hate pity. It's the last thing I need right now. Oh well at least I have one thing to look forward to...

After school hours in a classroom with Mr Hoying. What could be more exciting?