33.

33. Your grandmother. I think the problem with your grandmother was that in contrast to her husband, she was so quiet and she did like me. But the only reason she liked me was because she didn’t know we were dating. We would tell her time and time again that we were couple, yet she would respond with, “Impossible!” or “I know I’m old, but stop trying to pull a fast one on me!” She thought it was some big joke. Like we would never work as a couple. For a while, we proved her wrong. Well, she still thought that we were just friends, but you know what I mean. Your grandmother was actually one of the nicest women I have ever had the pleasure of meeting. She would always ask me about my family and what I wanted to do with my future and if I liked chocolate chip cookies. I think I hooked her when I told her that I loved chocolate chip cookies. But I think that I won her when I told her that I loved her chocolate chip cookies. She really was a great baker. Her pumpkin pie was great, too. I always loved going to brunch at her house (when your grandfather wasn’t around, of course). But what killed me about your grandmother—despite all her good—was that she didn’t believe in us. She couldn’t even fathom us. I liked your grandmother so, so, so much, but I could never love a woman who thought love was finite.