35.

35. Halle. She was your best friend, and the fate of our relationship rested in her judgment. I still can’t believe that you and Halle are best friends. You’re just…so different, as your mother would say. But anyway, Halle didn’t flat-out say that she didn’t like me, but she didn’t deny it, either. She was going to be supportive of you even if you brought a dog home and said that you were in love, but in some ways, a dog would’ve been better than me for Halle. I was just so…different, and she had more of a past with you than I did. We tried to make it work for you, but Halle was always trickier than any member of your family or Allen. They were all direct in how much they didn’t like me, but Halle was more complex. She would act like she liked me one minute, but then you would come to me the next day and say that Halle thought I could’ve been nicer or Halle thought that I was too political or Halle thought that I needed to lighten up. I believe the term “two-faced” was coined for girls like Halle. She always left me with a residue of unease after we hung out, because I was never sure what she would tell you later on. You were her friend, but I was more than that to you, yet you put her first most of the time. That shouldn’t have happened.