Chapter 12

Third Person POV:

Jay throws a rock at the sign, and then the grate opens. Evie then leads Ben and Alex to the steps.

"Wish us luck." Ben says.

"All the way up." Jay directs. And with that the pair walk up the stairs.

"Good luck." Evie wishes. As the pair reach the top, they enter an apartment. As they walk through, they hear the sound of a spray hissing. As they come around the corner, they see Mal spray painting the wall, making a picture of Evie, Carlos, Mal, Jay and Megan.

"At least I don't see a picture of me with horns and a pitchfork." Ben says, making Mal spin around in shock.

"Ben?" She says, with a small sigh. Emotions hiding behind her eyes. Ben goes to walk towards her but Mal holds her hands up to stop him.

"Mal, I'm so sorry about our fight." Ben says, while Alex stands a little bit away. "It was all my fault. I... Please com home." He holds up the Beast Ring. Mal looks like she's about to cry, she steps down from the stool. Before she replies to Ben, she looks to Alex.

"Meg isn't here." Mal says to him. "She left when we got here."

"Do you know where she is, I need to speak with her?" Alex says to her.

"She went to see Uma, I'm sorry." Mal replies. He nods and goes back down the stairs, leaving Mal and Ben to talk. Mal approaches Ben. "Ben... I am home."

"I brought the limo. It's a sweet ride." Ben says.

"I don't fit in, Ben. I really gave it my best shot. And if you think that I could change, I think you're wrong." Mal replies.

"Then, I'll change. I'll skip school, I'll have more fun. You know, I'll blow off some of my responsibilities-" Ben says, but Mal cuts him off.

"No, no. See, I'm such a terrible influence. It's only a matter of time before I do something so messed up that not only does the kingdom turn on me, but they turn on you too." Mal replies.

"Don't quit us, Mal." Ben says. Putting the Beast Ring into her hand. "People love you. I love you. Don't you love me?" Mal doesn't reply, she just picks up the ring. She looks at it for a moment, and a smile shines on her face, but she then puts the ring back into Ben's hand and pushes it away.

"I have to take myself out of the picture because it's what's best for you and it's what's best for Auradon." Mal replies.

"Mal, no, please." Ben says, stepping closer. Mal steps back and tries to control herself to not cry.

"Ben, I can't do this." Mal replies. She then turns her back on him and grabs the spray can again. "You should go, Ben." She then climbs back up and turns to him. "Ben, please go. Please leave." She says. He looks to her heartbroken and then he turns and leaves. As he does Mal lets out a shaky breath, controlling her emotions.