Chapter 5: Back to UA

Izuku had always wondered if U.A. had changed since he graduated. It hadn't. It was still the same glass, somewhat "H" shaped building it always was. But the majority of the training grounds were closed off. It only made sense. There were far less people with quirks, and as a result, U.A. only had a single hero course. It was full of promising students.

Izuku walked into the main office. "Hi I have an appointment with principal Nezu. Is he here?"

"Why wouldn't I be?" Izuku turned around to see an anthropomorphic white rat in a suit. Izuku shook his old principal's hand and entered his office. They chatted about hero work for a bit, but then Izuku got to the point. "Principal Nezu, how are things in the hero course?"

"We were hard pressed to find applicants this year." said the principal. A concerned look decorating his face. "we've already had to shut down the second hero course. I'm starting to think that the age of heroes is coming to a close."

"Nezu, this all started with a baby that glowed like the sun. A single child with a single quirk. It's all a matter of time until quirks become the norm again. The percentage is going up steadily. Just let natural selection take it's course, and soon we'll be back to normal."

"That is reassuring. Anything else? I doubt you scheduled an appointment just to chat with me."

Nezu had caught him. Nezu always does. "I... I want you to start allowing internships again. If we sound young heroes to learn from people like the twelve pillars, then we might be able to raise a much stronger generation of heroes."

U.A. had previously closed down their internship program. with the hero world becoming as dangerous as it is, they felt it was unsafe to send children out to assist pro heroes. They did still allow hero work-studies, but it was harder for students to get those since they hadn't built up connections with internships. "I'm not sure, Midoryia. The hero world is very dangerous."

"Danger requires those with strength to step in. With the students interning with the heroes today, then they'll be as safe as internships were when I was in school."

"You're internship wasn't very safe."

"Not the point. U.A. thrived and produced so many pro heroes because they  took risks."

Nezu thought about this for quite some time. With his quirk, Izuku was sure that Nezu would come to the right decision. "I must speak with the other teachers and staff about this. But thank you for bringing this to my attention. It was nice catching up, Midoryia."

"Likewise, Nezu." the two shook hands and Izuku stepped out.

<timeskip>

Izuku walked through the door. It was lonely without Uraraka there. But, his wounds had healed, and he was back on the streets as Deku. It had been a week since he had confronted Nezu about the shortage of heroes. He walked into the kitchen and decided to make something. He made his favorite, pork cutlet bowls, and walked into the living room. Just as he was about to sit down, he heard the phone remind him he had voice messages. He must've missed them at work. He had a few messages from telemarketers, he ignored those. He had a message from his mom telling him to be careful, a message from Uraraka asking if he wanted to go to see the new hero exhibition, and a message from principal Nezu. The message opened, and he heard Nezu's voice saying, "Greetings, Midoryia. We've taken your request into consideration, and after much deliberation with the staff, we have decided to reopen the internship program. Please view the sports festival when it comes and perhaps put in a request for a specific student. Seeing as it was you who brought this matter to our attention, we have assumed that you will take any interns. We once again thank you for bringing this to our attention. Go beyond! Plus Ultra!"

Izuku gave a small victory fist. He called Uraraka.

<the phonecall>

Izuku: Hey, Ura? I think I have another idea for the date you called me about.

Uraraka: Sure, what did you have in mind?

Izuku: Well, I got a call from UA saying that they were going to reopen the internship programs. I was thinking you and I could watch the sports festival together and see which of the students stand out? We could get the internships prepared, and have our date. Kill two birds with one stone. Whaddya say?

Uraraka: Totally! It's next Wednesday, right? We have the day off then anyway. Lemillion sent out an email saying that we got Wednesday off because of the sports festival.

Izuku: Perfect! I'll see you then.

Uraraka: Great. Love you!

Izuku: Love you more!

Uraraka: Not possible.

Izuku: Try me.

The phone call ended. Izuku went to sleep that night with excitement that he was going to see Uraraka, and hope for a better future for the hero world.

A/N Hey all! Some news. I'm gonna be taking a hiatus next week for a trip. I'm also going to do a oneshot for Pride Month. Which bnha ship do y'all think I should do for that? Please leave a comment. Anyway, thanks for reading, sorry this one was a tad shorter. Click all de buttons. BYEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE! I love writing on a laptop.