12) .Fulfilling a Promise.

(Edited)

.Fulfilling a Promise.

~Tuesday Prince~

Finally, after what seems like forever, the White Witch bursts from the tent, a grimace on her face. We stand quickly, ready to meet her and Aslan. Her eyes instantly lock on mine, but this time, instead of giving me a smirk, she looks at me with fear, quickly glancing away before making her journey back to her sleigh. I instantly wonder what they talked about. Aslan comes out a moment later, looking grim as he had before, or even more so, and I know his plot has worked. I can't help but frown. I don't realize my hand has slipped into Peter's until he gives it a small squeeze.

"She has renounced her claim on the son of Adam's blood!" Aslan announced, his call going through the field. He turns away quickly as everyone cheers and I drop Peter's hand, going to him.

"How do I know your promise will be kept?" the White Witch asks back. Aslan pauses, turning again and roars, his strong call echoing through the forest, shaking the trees, and the ground and even the Witch who falls back in her seat with surprise and fear. I laugh slightly and rejoin the king's side, staring at the woman in pride, though she refuses to meet my eyes. Aslan heads back to his tent as the Witch makes a desperate escape and a sigh runs through his body.

"Come, Queen Tuesday," his voice echoes back. "We must discuss what is to come." I follow him quickly, tears starting to gather in my eyes, but I push them away. I must not cry. I must show them how strong I am. For Narnia, and for Aslan.

Again, I sit on the lion skin rug which seems to be my natural residence whenever I enter Aslan's tent. I hardly think he uses it himself. So, I sit there, awaiting his next words. He just paces back and forth, never sitting, never resting. I can tell he's stressed. I just want to pet him, to tell him it's going to be okay, so that's what I do. I reach my hand out and my fingers brush his fur lightly as he passes. Immediately, there is a reaction. He purrs and comes to my side, dropping on the lion skin rug so I can cuddle into him. I wrap my arms around his middle, not reaching all the way around, but enough to comfort him. No matter how powerful and godlike he is, I remind myself that Aslan is still just like us, a creature of flesh and blood, feeling sadness and hurt. This moment reminds me of that more than ever.

"You know what is to happen, don't you, little one?" 

I sniff, tears starting to form in my eyes. I nod, though he can not see me. I knows he feels it against him and takes that as an answer. We sit in silence for another couple of beats, just dwelling in each other's presence, trying to lengthen the moments one by one. Well, that's what I'm doing. I don't know what runs through Aslan's mind as these beats pass.

"Why did you do it?" I ask him quietly. Another sigh rolls through him.

"It was something that had to be done. Edmund never will become the king he is destined to be if I don't sacrifice myself for him, to show him that he is forgiven, to show him that he is loved, that he is important, that there is mercy and that there is justice. I have already given so much for Narnia. Now it is your turn to go in my place." I can't stop the tears from falling down my cheeks and onto Aslan's pelt, burying my face in his side, hoping he'll never leave. However, I pull back slightly.

"I do not know as much as you think, Aslan. I don't even know the capacity of my powers or what I am capable of. I don't know what my mother did to offend the Witch or what she has done to save Narnia."

"Your mother, Alexa Rose, was a kind woman, Tuesday. What most do not know about her is what she was before she became who she was. If I had not taken her under my wing when she was so young, I do not think Narnia would still be what is is now." I pull away completely now, still keeping a hand to Aslan's fur, but looking at him with interest and confusion in my eyes. He looks back at me, his own eyes still full of sadness, and now regret. He continues on. "You see, your mother came to Narnia when it was first created. She came with the White Witch from another world in another time. Alexa Rose Prince used to be called Jaelle, the sister of Jadis, the White Witch. She was young, but she was smart and knew the costs of following evil unlike her sister."