Chapter 12

That morning Nikolaj had almost fallen off the bed when the phone began to ring.

His radar was always functioning, but that night he hadn't slept; he had stayed awake watching Belle sleep on the other side of the bed and thinking about everything that had happened since she walked into his miserable life giving it a crumb of hope.

He got up and answered his smartphone before Belle could wake up. He saw her stirring in the sheets before he answered the call.

"Hello." Belle heard Nikolaj say and then he left the bedroom. She just laid there, eyes closed trying to catch some of the phone call, but Nikolaj had left the room just because he didn't want her to hear anything.

Minutes had passed, maybe an hour, but Nikolaj never came back to bed. Belle got up and noticed that the door of his study was closed, but she could hear his voice coming from inside. She moved closer to the door trying to understand what he was saying.

"I want to be clear." Nikolaj was saying. "This service will cost you. What you are asking me to do will take a lot of preparation and the right equipment." He paused listening to his interlocutor. "I'll make sure you receive my bank account number, and as soon as I receive the down payment, I'll do the job." He continued. Belle moved in even closer to the door. "Now give me all the details." He ordered. His voice was harder than ever.

Belle moved away from the door realizing the phone call would continue for a while. She went into the kitchen and prepared some coffee. She grabbed a cup from the shelf which Nikolaj used every morning and placed it on the table where he usually sat. While she sipped her coffee and milk, she got an idea. She grabbed a rusk and some chocolate cream. Using a spoon, she drew a heart with the cream on the rusk. She then sprinkled some biscuit crumbs on top, eliminating the excess bits. She placed it next to his coffee cup and went back to finishing her breakfast.

Nikolaj came out of his study and went into the kitchen. He was surprised that Belle had prepared such a lovely breakfast for him, but looked worried. Belle thought he was still thinking about the phone conversation.

As he grabbed his cup to fill it with coffee, he noticed the rusk. He started laughing. He filled his cup and sat down.

"Did you make this for me?" He asked sarcastically.

Belle wanted to die from embarrassment. "Yes" she said softly.

Nikolaj took the rusk and dipped it into his coffee devouring it.

"Who was on the phone?" Belle asked as soon as they had finished breakfast.

"A client." He said seriously.

Belle looked at him waiting for more than that answer. Nikolaj, feeling observed, lifted his eyes and looked at her as if the answer he had just given her was enough.

"Do you have a new mission?" She asked noticing that she had pronounced «mission» as if it were a curse.

"Yes, Belle. But I can't tell you more."

"Client-hitman confidentiality?" She blurted but bit her lip realizing the danger in that word.

Nikolaj remained impassible. "More or less" he said. "The less you know, the better it is for you."

"By now, I think I know enough." Belle retorted lowering her voice.

Nikolaj got up and kissed her on the forehead: "Thanks for the wonderful breakfast, baby" he said and disappeared into the bathroom.

Nikolaj was locked up in his study all morning long. Belle bored, began reading some of the books in Nikolaj's vast and elegant library.

It was lunchtime when Nikolaj came out of his study. Belle had cooked for them. They had lunch together, and Nikolaj ate everything without taking a breath; Belle did not understand if he was starving or he had care of returning to his work. Right after lunch, Nikolaj disappeared into that dark room again. Belle felt suddenly lonely.