Chapter 4

Belle moved on the chair. For the first time she was further on from the glass wall, in the questioning room. Her boss was standing next to her while the inspector questioned her. It had been going on for a couple of minutes, but Belle couldn't give any more details other than what she had seen.

In the end, her boss convinced the inspector to let her go and instead concentrate on other possible witnesses.

"Go home for today" he told her.

Belle nodded a yes and went straight to the locker room of the department where she had left her personal belongings.

She opened the locker and took her things, without acknowledging what she was doing: by now, her every single movement was mechanical. She stared at the inside of her locker, which was half emptied, and lost herself in her thoughts for a few seconds. She slammed the locker door shut making the metal vibrate so she could distract herself from those thoughts, but, when she turned around, she jumped finding Sam standing in front of her.

She deadened onto the locker, moving backward as if she had seen the killer.

Sam didn't let her innocent visage distract him.

"I wanted to know if you were okay" he said, while moving towards her.

"I'm fine" she said, wishing the locker hadn't impeded her from moving away.

The man still had his uniform on and his austerity and rigidity were certainly even noticeable at the entrance of the department building. He stared at her with his half-closed eyes, intimidating her with his body size and broad shoulders; he knew very well that Belle felt more subjective whenever he wore his uniform. In fact, he perceived this just by the way she stared at him, lowering her eyes from time to time, trying not to look at him straight in the eyes. Now he felt that he had total control of the situation even more.

"It was an unwise thing to get out of the car" he said with a low voice.

"I know" she said staring at her hands.

Sam moved closer to her: "You could have been killed" he said raising his voice. "Damn! Thank God it didn't happen!" He screamed laying his hands on Belle's hips.

"I didn't realize..." Belle confessed leaning herself against the cold metal as much as possible.

"I always think about it" Sam said slowly, pronouncing every word as if it were a threat; I think about you every day, every moment" he told her, brushing his black beard against her face. "You must be more careful. I can't always watch your back, Belle" he admitted. "Don't you care about me? Don't you care that I would suffer if something ever happened to you?" He asked her caressing her cheeks with the tip of his nose.

"I'm sorry, Sam" she admitted, standing still but, even if she wanted to remain calm, now that Sam was so close to her, she could feel the tension start.

"I wanna go home" she told him, trying to push him back.

Sam didn't budge, making sure she wouldn't escape him this time: "Come back home with me" he told her staring into her eyes.

She just stood there in silence, trying to find a way out of that embarrassing situation.

"This is the girl's locker room" she told him. "You should go. Moreover, I should go too. I need to clear my head."

Sam moved unwillingly away from her, but with that smile on his face that Belle liked a lot.

"My house is always opened" he told her adjusting his blue uniform jacket and staring at her again. There were only brief moments when he could be so close to her. Only brief moments. Brief moments in which his impulses tried to get the best of his personality. Seeing Belle so intimidated by him, shook and touched him in the same way. For that day, he had had his 'moment' and, even if short, it was enough. He left the changing room as silently as when he had come in.