Chapter 2

It was already evening when Sam arrived at the Rocciosa Marea miner's villa. Belle sprang out from a corner and slid into the police car. Sam looked elegant in his police uniform. With a dazzling smile, started the car and took off. He drove around the city many times, driving twenty kilometers per hour and checking out the street corners and paths. She didn't like talking about herself, and then again there wasn't much to say and the little that there was, Belle didn't care to spread it out either.

"There will be a manifestation tomorrow where some of the most important European Leaders will be presented and not only this" he said at a certain point. "It is a very important manifestation" he explained, but Belle wasn't staring at him. Instead, her gaze remained fixated, staring out of the window. She knew that if he was beating about the bush, he wanted to arrive at a crucial point.

"I was told to patrol the streets and pay attention to any suspicious' faces Sam continued sniggering. Then he pulled over and started staring at her: "Would you like to come with me?" He asked. "As soon as I finish my patrol, I'll take you out for lunch."

"Yes, Sammy" she answered.

He felt a chill go up to his spine as she uttered his name with such sweetness. She was the only one who could call him «Sammy»; only her and no one else.

"It'll be fun" Belle whispered, but suddenly the mysterious man whit the blue eyes, who laughingly stared at her under his frizzy beard, popped up in her mind. She smiled when she remembered what a fool she made out of herself. It was one of those comic and weird scenes from a film.

It was almost late evening when Sam finished his patrol. It didn't bother Belle at all; she didn't have to go to work. Sam pulled over to the same place where Belle had got in to say good-bye.

"I can take you home if you want" he proposed.

"Don't worry, Sam" she said. She didn't want Sam to know where she lived; otherwise, he would be standing at her doorstep anytime he could. She got out of the car and started walking towards the path where cars couldn't transit.

Her apartment, in the dark cold evening, was no means welcoming. She felt as she was still at university. Someone knocked at the door just before she got undressed.

She opened the door and a girl, in pajamas and messy hair, was standing at her doorstep.

"How did it go today?" She asked.

Belle let her in, closing the door behind her. "Well, Giò. Sam never gives up, but I like keeping him company" she answered.

"Give that poor guy a break" Giò tried to soften her.

"I don't want him to suffer" lied Belle.

"Maybe you need to know him better."

"Maybe I don't want to know him better" Belle clarified. "Why are you still up?" She asked and got undressed, putting on her pajamas while Giò continued talking without taking breaths.

"There's a party at the Poseidon tomorrow night. A band from Catania will be playing there and girls get free. Some friends of mine and I are going and I thought maybe you would like to come too. I cannot wait for tomorrow night! I don't know what I'm going to wear! Shit! I have to buy a dress!"

"Your happiness always surprises me, Giò" Belle confessed finding her ridiculous and overly excited about nothing.

"Maybe Belle; or maybe it's you that can't find what truly makes you happy" she retorted. "But you're coming tomorrow, it's already been decided." She opened the door before Belle could say anything.