Chapter 5

Nikolaj unplugged his phone and deleted the number, as his client had asked. Only his client could call him. That was the agreement.

He had given him the last instructions regarding his next hit. Time, place and further details. Nikolaj had everything ready. In order not to think about her blushing lips, he had prepared everything in advance. Only a day had passed since Seamus Finn's assassination at the town hall and his client was already quivering over his next hit.

As soon as he finished gang over the details, he changed and put his equipment into the car. He would have arrived at the established side early to prepare everything.

As he was turning off his laptop, he allowed himself once last glimpse at that picture. He opened up a file called 'Belle' and looked at some of his favorite pictures. Some were stolen from her Facebook account; something that he learned to do years ago; only the essential; the basics. The others he had downloaded from his camera. He stopped to look at one particular picture. Belle was with some friends; she was wearing a leopard printed t-shirt, which you could see a black tank-top through, her chin high, her smile bright and her hair pulled back by the wind. She looked into the camera lens with sparkling eyes, from above. She looked like she was Botticelli's muse in his The Birth of Venus.

This is what you think of her? He asked himself contemplated the photo. Venus? The sailor's mermaid? An angel?

That wasn't him. He was never interested in women. Why was Belle penetrated into his thoughts? This made him fell furious and calm at the same time. He couldn't believe that such opposite emotions could subvert his experience.

He lowered the monitor and headed towards his car. He set off for Campo d'Oro. That night he would have completed his second mission.

Instead, for Belle that was the umpteenth torment. Her boss insisted on Belle accompanying Sam to the German leader Seamus Finn's commemoration ceremony, and to a dinner party with other politicians.

Finn's commemoration ceremony was held next to Campo d'Oro town hall, and Belle was forced to wear a dark blue dress, which was so tight on her hips that it accentuated her curves. However, she didn't have anything else to wear. Sam stuck by her side like a bloodsucker; he pretended that he didn't care, but caressed her with his hands and hips. Belle jabbed her elbow into his side so many times that she thought and hoped he had finally given up.

When they arrived at the restaurant in the evening, he sat down next to her and moved her closer to him, putting his arm around her waist. Luckily, they were sitting with other thirty people and the situation was bearable enough, so Belle grabbed his arm freeing herself.

All the tables in the room were empty except theirs and at every corner, there were impassive and silent bodyguards, who were scrutinizing the servers coming and going. After the shooting at the German leader, the other leaders were under strict protection. Even the Italian minister's dog was brought into the restaurant so that it wouldn't have been left alone without protection. Naturally, that was one of the highlights of the day, because Sam and Belle couldn't stop joking about it.

"Miss D'Aragona" someone said and finally Sam gave her some peace. A tall robust man with a light-brown beard and blue eyes was talking to her. He had a British accent. Sam had explained to her, during the ceremony, that he was an important British political, called Desmond Deblin. "How does it feel to be present with so many international politicians? It doesn't seem you feel uneasy."

Belle felt shaken but had a ready answer: "In fact, Mr. Deblin, it doesn't bother me at all. Being politicians doesn't mean being superior; I feel as if I'm dining with new people." Many leaders turned around and stared at her with caution and scorn, but Desmond quietly laughed and caressed his beard.