Chapter 11

When Belle woke up the following morning, she felt nauseous. Something sour reached her throat. She jumped out of bed and ran into the bathroom, closing her inside. Nikolaj rubbed his eyes; he had slept for an hour. No more. That day was going to be a long day.

He got up and walked into the bathroom, without asking for permission. Belle was sitting on the floor, legs curled up to her chest. She had just flushed the toilet. He sat down next to her cupping her head between his hands.

"Don't worry" he said softly, "you weren't that drunk." Kissed her on the forehead.

Belle leaned on his arm feeling much better after throwing up.

"Today you're staying in bed." He ordered. "I have some business to do. I might be out until this afternoon."

"Don't leave me alone." Belle begged.

"I'll never leave you alone, baby. You've got the bracelet. I'll know where you are every single minute and I'll call you whenever I can. But I absolutely need to go." He said.

"Where do you have to go?"

Nikolaj hesitated before responding. He tried to think of an evasive answer. "Not very far from here. But I can't tell you where."

Belle understood he wasn't going to give her any more details and stopped asking him questions.

A few moments later, she decided to lie down on the sofa after having a shower. She turned on the TV and just stared at it, without acknowledging what was on.

Nikolaj walked into the room. He was wearing a suit. He sat down next to her and caressed her.

"Don't eat breakfast today." He said. "I left you some tomato sauce for lunch." He ordered.

"Ok" she answered rubbing her eyes. Nikolaj smiled. She looked like a kitten who had just woken up. He kissed her forehead and left making sure everything was locked up. He got into the car, thinking about all that he needed for his mission.

The Beretta, the muffler, uniform, badge, identity card, FBI badge, gloves... He had everything. He started the car and drove straight to Palermo's maximum-security prison.

He drove, face impassible, going over and over his plan of actions. He had never failed a mission, not even an improvised one. He would not make an error. When he got to Palermo, it was already lunchtime. He was on time. He got out of the car, grabbing his black briefcase in one hand and his badge on the other. When he reached the iron door of the prison, a guard opened the small dialogue window.

Nikolaj lifted his badge to where the window was. The guard scrutinized it attentively, then opened the door.

"Welcome agent." The guard saluted him.

Nikolaj walked straight in without looking at the man. He passed some guards tined up in the courtyard. They were escorting prisoners to their cells while letting out others.

Nikolaj walked into the office's area and entered the visitors' room.

"Agent Vincenzo De Mattei" he introduced himself.

"Welcome agent De Mattei" said the director observing his card to confirm his identity. "What can I do for you?" He asked.

"Commander Marinelli has asked for you, agent. He would like to speak to you right now." He said lying with ease.

The man jumped on his chair and stood up immediately. "I can't leave my locat..."

"I said NOW, agent!" Nikolaj retorted lowering his head in staring at him.