Chapter 1

Belle walked into the cold and static room. There was metal everywhere; the glass wall faced out the interrogation room. She saw her reflection in the glass; her arms folded and wearing a red jacket and a white shirt.

She couldn't stand the way she was forced to dress for work, but if she wanted to keep her job, she had to accept small compromises. Besides, she felt less stared at by men when she wore a shirt. Now instead of staring at her cleavage, they just looked at her when passing by. She suspected that sooner or later she would do something she would regret.

Sam walked in and, without saying a word, he stood behind her. Then a fifty years old man, escorted by his lawyer, and the chief of police walked into the room. The interrogation began, and Belle concentrated only on that. She knew very well that Sam was staring at her; she could see his reflection in the glass. She shifted her weight to her other leg, making a delicate noise with her heel.

The man approached her brushing his body against hers.

"Today I have to work till evening. Do you want to keep me company?" He asked her.

Belle knew very well that now she had a lot of time on her hands in the afternoon because she had finished her studies, and staying at home, wasting time would have driven her crazy. Spending her afternoon with Sam, ignoring how madly in love he was with her, would have taken her mind off of things. Besides, other than his incomprehensible attraction for her, Sam was cute and funny. He made her laugh.

"Yes" she replied.

When the questioning had finished, the inspector walked into the room.

"So Miss D'Aragona fill me in."

"The suspect put his hands on his face a few times when he answered the questions about his location at the time of the homicide. He started sweating the very moment the questions began, and his lower lip was trembling while he was listening to the first questions and as if he was preparing an adequate answer. If he is not guilty, he is lying to you to either protect someone or out to fear, because he doesn't want to be involved in something that doesn't concern him. But he will give in soon, inspector. He will not withstand another ten minutes of questioning, and then he will confess" she told him.

The inspector listened carefully and was glad that he had hired a neo-graduate specialized in criminology. He went back in without saying a word. It was as if Belle had foreseen the future with a crystal ball, because after a few minutes the man confessed that he had witnessed the homicide by mistake and did not want to talk because he was afraid that he would have been 'punished' after leaving the district.

"The inspector should brush up on the basic rules before proceeding a questioning if he demands any suspect to talk" said Belle looking at her reflection in the mirror.

Sam stood with his arms folded next to her, listening to what she had said. He had a thoughtful expression on his face; she could see his reflection on the glass. "What do you mean?" He asked her.

"If the inspector wants a suspect to talk, he has to try to put himself on his same level" she explained. "The inspector should sit in front of him, or better yet next to him. If he just stands there, the only thing he is going to get is fear and submission. Sometimes your approach, the tone of your voice and the way you move your body can make a difference. These are all things you learn in your first semester" she concluded.

Sam took her explanation as a personal challenge. He moved closer to her and lowered his voice: "So, if I speak using this voice tone, you must not contradict me!" He said with a low, hoarse voice. Belle burst into laughter, putting her hand on her mouth in order not to be heard.