Chapter 3

"I'm going on patrol" Sam told her. He kissed her on the cheek before Belle even noticed, because he knew very well that she would have stopped him.

Belle felt her face flush while she was touching the check he had kissed, like a child. Sam went down and Belle watched him pass the crowd that surrounded the town hall of Campo d'Oro, situated exactly in the center of Sicily, known for its elegance, luxury and high cost of living. Before disappearing in the crowd, Sam turned around smiling and giggling about Belle's unsuccessful attempt to avoid Sam kissing her.

Political meeting, manifestation, theatrical shows performed by well-known companies and summer concert were held there. However, Campo d'Oro was, without a doubt, famous for its politics. Its town hall built by Arabic and Norman workers, had been the venue for some of the most important political manifestations and hosted many famous, international political figures.

A crowd of people surrounded the square, opposite the building, and Belle decided not to go down and wait for Sam.

After an hour and fifty minute's journey, she felt exhausted, above all for spending another sleepless night thinking about those horrible tar colored eyes.

She moved to the back seat and laid down, closing the steering wheel from inside. She put her arms under her head and remained silent to hear the distant voices yak and then applauses, and boos and hisses. She stared and the blue sky, trying to fight the image of the mysterious man. She wondered how he could have had such an effect on her. She hadn't seen his face very well and yet she couldn't get him out of her mind. She didn't even know who he was. The only thing she was sure of was that he had two intense, icy colored eyes. She had never seen eyes like those. The color was practically impossible to describe, as if they were almost transparent.

She sensed a man's voice speaking on a microphone, but she didn't want to hear what he was saying. She loved that sky. Maybe because she saw the reflection of his gaze... Her mystery man...

That's right she thought. This is the only thing I can have. A mysterious man, which I don't even know if he exists or not. The perfect man who lives in my thoughts. All the things other men are not.

She stared at the reflection of the sky that mirrored in the enormous glass windows of the high building just under where the car was parked. It was just then that her reflection was interrupted.

From an open window, perhaps on the fifth floor, an unidentified object sprang out. It was small, black and spherical, but Belle couldn't make out what it was. It moved slowly as if it was looking for the right position and then it stopped. Belle squinted to focalize better, but she could not decipher what the object was. It wasn't an animal, it was surely something unanimated moved by someone.

She didn't make it on time to ask herself anymore question, when the crowd of people who were booing and hissing transformed into a screaming folks. She sprang up and heard a siren. She saw people throwing themselves to the ground and putting their hands behind their heads. Belle heard her heart stop beating for a few minutes while she was trying to understand what had just happened.

She got out of the car without taking safety measures and stared at the open window from another angle. She saw the unidentified object in someone hand. A black glove closed the mirrored window and Belle couldn't see anything more.

Sam arrived immediately throwing her to the ground behind the car. He laid his body over hers protecting her with it, looking in every direction while he only saw masses of people screaming.

"Someone has shot one of the leaders!" He screamed while upping her head in his hand as if he had foreseen someone shooting in their direction.

Belle forced him to listen to her and screamed in order to overhang the screaming crowd that was running quickly: "Someone has fired a shot from the fifth floor of this building."