25

Chapter 25: The Plan

Can't you see
We could be something if we tried,
Just tell me how to make you mine
- The Girl and the Dreamcatcher

Can't you seeWe could be something if we tried,Just tell me how to make you mine- The Girl and the Dreamcatcher

Two days had passed since that night with Ember and since then the girl hadn't even looked his way. A part of him was starting to question wether or not it was possible for him to win her back. The fact that she went to him when she got hurt gave him some hope but with the blonde still ignoring him he wasn't too sure of anything.

"Peter" the sound of his aunt's voice, snapped him out of his thoughts. Peter looked up from his food to see May looking at him with worried eyes. It seemed all the poor woman did lately was worry about him and he felt terrible for putting her through that.

"Sorry. What were you saying?" Peter smiled sheepishly.

May let out an exasperated sigh as she went to feel his forehead, trying to find any sign of him being ill. "I was asking if you're alright?"

"Oh, yeah, just tired" Peter said, gently pushing her hand away and doing his best to give him a reassuring smile.

"Alright" May nodded, trying to give him some space. She assumed it had something to do with him losing his internship.

"Hey, May." The two ate in silence for a few more minutes, until Peter finally turned to his aunt once more. "Let's say there's this girl I really like-"

"Right. Short, blonde, green eyes and works at a bakery?" May cut him off, giggling as his cheeks turned red.

"Uh, what? No, I meant hypothetically."  Peter argued, looking down at his plate to avoid May's knowing smirk. "Ned, uh, actually really likes this girl. And he seemed to be getting along well with her and everything seemed great. But he messed up, like really messed up and now this girl doesn't want anything to do with him."

"So you messed up and Ember isn't talking to you?"

"N-no! We're talking about Ned, remember?" Peter cried, his voice rising a bit, scratching his neck nervously.

"Yeah, sure" May answered seeing right through his lie but allowing him to keep going  "So what did Ned do?"

"He pushed her away. I think maybe he was afraid that she was too good for him. He thought he had to focus on other things before he could think of a relationship" Peter said, his shoulders dropping in defeat as he began recalling his entire situation. There was no point on lying to himself anymore. "Maybe he thought he would only hurt her and he needed to let her go and move on"