03

Chapter 3: Where She Remembers
"It matters not what someone is born,
but what they grow to be"
- Albus Dumbledore

Clint was driving the old car looking a bit stressed, Wanda sat next to him still feeling down and Ember was sitting in the back, listening to some music with a bored expression

"Wait here" said Clint once the car came to a stop, sending both girls a glance that said there was no discussion, then he got out and made his way towards the place where their next recruit was.

Ember scoffed at his request, she wasn't a child and he wasn't her boss. "Whatever"

There was a moment of silence, both girls sat there looking at the way the man went, before Wanda decided to break it.

"What made you change your mind?" Ember turned to look at her as the young Maximoff continued "You were right, this isn't your problem, so why help Steve?"

"He's an old family friend" answered Ember, hoping Wanda wouldn't ask anymore questions.

Noticing that the younger girl wasn't about to say anything else they returned to the silence for a minute before it was broken again, this time by the blonde.

"You know, I actually look up to you" chuckled Ember. Wanda looked at her as if she  had grown to heads "What? Is that bad or something?"

"You shouldn't, I've hurt people" Wanda answered, looking at her hands in embarrassment and guilt.

"But you want to prove you're better, that's why you keep going" At the girl's words Wanda turned to look at her again with a frown. Ember was looking outside seemingly  bored yet her words were strong and appeared to hold a meaning to the blonde "You do what I've been trying to do my whole life"

"People say I'm a monster"

At the sound of that word Ember turned to look at Wanda with white glowing eyes from anger, she hated that word. The temperature in the car seemed to drop, noticing what was happening Wanda was getting ready to knock the younger girl out. Realizing she was losing control the blonde closed her eyes, taking a deep breath before opening them again showing that they had returned to their normal green color.

Wanda sighed in relief making Ember feel a bit embarrassed.

"To hell with people. You try to save lives, you fight for what you believe" Ember said looking at Wanda intensely "It doesn't matter what others say, you aren't a monster and what you believe is what matters"

With that Ember turned to look at the window again, putting on her headphones getting lost in her thoughts. Hearing Wanda say that word, monster, brought back the memory of her mother's terrified face as she looked at her.