Epilogue

Epilogue

Nine and a half years later

"Quit bugging me, Cheri." I heard Mitch say from the dining room.

"Mitch got a girlfriend! Mitch got a girlfriend!" Cheri chanted in her cheeky manner.

"Didn't I tell you two to set the table?" I walked into the room and pointed a finger between my two children.

The both stilled and stared at me. I wasn't sure if I could hold back my giggle at how silly they looked. Cheri kept making kissing motions with her face while Mitch tried to squash her expression into anything else. My kids were ridiculous and hilarious in equal measure, and they always kept me amused.

"Set the table." I stifled my smile and bossed them around.

The doorbell rang, so I pointed another stern finger at them reminding them to do the chore I asked. Going to answer the summons, I wondered which of my family members would turn up first.

The last person I expected at the door was Harrison. He hardly made any attempt to see anyone in our family nowadays. It troubled Bev and she always wanted to blame herself. Jene and I knew it had more to do with his double life. He would learn the true extent of a genies patience with the wishes he owed.

"What's it going to be this time, Harrison? Are you still trying for the 'this punishment is so unfair' angle, or have you moved on?" I kept my voice bland and I blocked his view from seeing into my home.

If I had learnt one thing, it was never to give Harrison an opportunity at anything. He used any information he could get to twist the truth and make him seem like the suffering party.

"It's finished. It's finally over." The words of relief leaked from Harrison's mouth.

He sure surprised me. I had thought that he'd still have to suffer his punishment until I was old and grey.

"Your punishment. You've completed your punishment?" I couldn't hide my disbelief.

"Yes." He bowed his head, but for the first time I looked at him carefully.

Harrison was only in his early thirties but he appeared exceedingly older. His hair had grey streaks through it, his face continued its first wrinkle, but it was his eyes that showed his years. This man had seen centuries of time, and yet physically remained quite young.

"That's unexpected. You had an awful lot of wishes to return." I crossed my arms and kept my defences up.

"That's true and I delivered them. You have no idea what it's like living in that tiny space." He shuddered.

"You stole from those who genuinely try to do good for human kind. You deserved everything you've received." I scorned him and he paused.

"I did, and I know that now." Harrison agreed in a troubled whisper.

"Little One, who awaits us?" Jene asked as he came in from the backyard where he had started the barbecue.

I stepped back from the door and Jene spat out a curse. He strode forward with a glare smothering his features. Harrison saw him barreling towards him and I wasn't sure what to expect. It sure wasn't what I saw. Harrison dropped to his knees, placed his forehead on the ground and began to apologise.

"Oh, gracious genie, I humble myself before you so that you may release me from my burden. From this day I have freedom from my punishment, but I do not feel free. A burden of guilt sits clear upon my shoulders that only you may ease. Please forgive me for the way I treated you and the selfish way I treated your lamp." Harrison pleaded in a shaky voice.