Chapter 16

Chapter 16

"Now we must discuss your powers." Jene hadn't moved far from where he held me, and I was too darn cozy to move.

"My powers?" I rolled my eyes at him.

"You are stronger than She-Gen. Perhaps it is why she has no interest in physical intimacy. With her children more powerful than she, it could cause issues." Jene mused, and then he tapped my nose.

"Don't you think I'd know about these so called powers of mine long before today?"

"Not at all. Unless you used your anger a lot while in the human realm, you would never have noticed such an occurrence."

I thought about that for a moment. There was only one thing that made me angry and that was my step siblings, most especially Harrison. I always tried to avoid seeing him in person because he made me so mad.

"Why is my anger so important to this whole power thing?" I asked.

"Any strong emotion could bring the powers forth, but anger can focus the power with a greater edge. She-Gen wants to help you control your power, but I can do it just as well." Jene advised.

"Alright, what exactly can I do with this power?" I asked with a great deal of hesitation.

"You are as good as a genies lamp. Anything you want can be yours."

"Sounds too good to be true." I frowned that him.

"There are side effects to such powers. It comes with exhaustion, as you experienced this morning. I believe that magic shows it's worth beyond the side effects." He assured me.

"Do I want to know what else I might suffer?" I asked with a wince.

"Beyond the most common of exhaustion, there is sometimes delirium, hallucinations, and very rarely it can lead to manic behaviour."

"Sounds like fun." I drawled.

"Come and stand, so I can show you a few small magics that you can practice." He demanded.

"I'm actually pretty comfy right here at this moment," I insisted as I dared to reach out and touch his face. "Were you serious about all of what you said?" I had to ask.

As much as I wanted to believe in the sweet things he told me, doubt had reared it's head. Jene was a genie, a bona fide, true to life genie. He'd seen more human existence than I ever would in my lifetime. It was hard for me to comprehend that he saw me as someone as important as his Genie-Us.

Why was I having such doubts? Now I'm doubting my doubts. Could anything seem more ludicrous? Hadn't Jene just spelled everything out for me? I pushed my flailing thoughts away and waited on his reply.

"Yes, quite serious," Jene said, and a relieved breath escaped me. "So serious that I shall  attend your family dinner as your... whatever do you call a Genie-Us nowadays?" he enquired.

"Boyfriend." I replied with the same dreamy tone he'd used earlier.

"Boy... friend? That seems to suggest that I am a mere boy and only your friend." He puzzled over the wording looking utterly adorable.

"Won't Harrison recognise you if you come to dinner?" I peered up into those stunning blue eyes of his.

"Illusion, my Genie-Us. I will smother myself in illusion, but only your stepbrother will see the illusion. Everyone else will see me as I am."

"Wait a minute, wouldn't you be Harrison if I'm still in charge of you with that stupid wish?" I asked as I pondered what I'd heard previously.

"Tonight I will change the rules slightly with the excuse of you needing to see my lamp." He sounded thrilled at such a prospect.