Chapter 30

Chapter 30

"You have brought us auspicious and quite shocking news, but also most welcome. It seems that the Gods smile down upon the genies today." As mum spoke, a ray of sunlight slid through to touch down upon me.

As much as I didn't like being a spectacle, it seemed there was no avoiding it today. I'd delivered never heard of before news to a people who had thought their chance of having children impossible. It gave such a joyous hope to the room.

"Would you like your private audience before or after the Genie-Us ritual?" Mum asked with a smile as full of joyous tears as Jene had.

Before Jene could say anything, I spoke up, "after. I would like to complete the ritual now."

Jene stared with a little consternation and a lot of love at me, but I wasn't backing down. I'd didn't want to have to stand here any other day when they might force me to wear that horrid genie garment rather than these billowing robes. Very soon my body wouldn't even fit in the genie outfit with the baby growing inside of me.

"Is this truly what you desire, Little One?" Jene asked in a low voice.

"Yes, I want to complete the ritual now." My voice might have squeaked a little but I remained insistent.

Jene peered at me for a long moment before nodding and turning to mum. My nerves came back to me in a sudden rush. I intended to go through with this ritual. Reminding myself of why I wanted to do this helped to relax me.

Jene was the main reason. He needed this to feel complete. In a way, I also think he needed it to escape the reminder of Evil Isla. This would cement the bond between us that a human wedding could never do. Even I wanted that closeness between us.

"The Genie-Us ritual shall begin," Mum declared and the room rang with a low hum. "Please stand side by side, and may the Gods favour you this day."

Jene stood with his shoulder pressed against mine as we had practiced. We had run trough what I would have to do earlier in the day, so I knew the basics. Jene's arm reached up to clasp around the back of my neck.

The problem I had was that I needed to do the same thing to him, but found it impossible due to our height difference. My hand only reached halfway up his back. I shrugged, it would just have to do.

Jene pressed his index finger to the base of my spine, so I pressed my finger against his spine too. It seemed like an odd thing to do, but Jene had simply told me that's how it worked. As long as I could reach his spine it would all work.

"Gods above, look down upon us this day and see the light between these two." Mum intoned the words as she raised her arms to the heavens.

I thought at first that I only saw an errant ray of sunlight, much like the one that had focused upon me before. When it beamed down upon only Jene and I, a warmth surrounded me. It was as if I had stepped from a wintery day into the blazing summer heat. It was a sensation that I had never felt before. It was a wondrous moment.

Deep warmth, a loving intoxicating warmth filled me up until I'm sure I gleamed. The ray of sunlight enveloped us, wrapping us in its gossamer heat. The perfection of this moment was one I knew I would never in my life forget.

I dared a glance at Jene, only to find the same look of wonderment and joy upon his features. A gasp escaped me at the sheer perfection of how he appeared to me. He was always a handsome man, but now he shone with an enhanced beauty that deepened my love and astonished me as well.