Chapter 15

Chapter 15

I awoke to fingers stroking along my cheek. Words echoed upon the air around me but I couldn't focus upon them. I gave my mind a moment to assess everything before even thinking of opening my eyes.

"Power can drain one with such ease, but you must awaken, Little One." Jene's delightful, velvet voice reached out to me in my sleep world.

"Go away, Jene. I'm so not in the mood." I grouched in a drowsy voice as I swished a hand vaguely around.

"I desire to explain how your power works, and your stepmother is about to walk into your home." Jene's words had me snapping awake.

"What the hell?" I muttered.

"Isla, darling," my stepmother gushed as I sat up. "Where are you?"

"What's going on?" I pushed my hair out of my face and groaned.

"Are you okay?" she sat down next to me.

"Bev?" I stared up at her smiling face.

Her familiar features calmed me. Her deep black hair streaked with grey floated around her face in an ethereal cloud. The face I knew so well with it's ever present smile and soft wrinkles starting to form. She wasn't one to try to appear younger than she was, and I'd always admired that about her.

"It's me. Have you taken to napping during your holidays?" that seemed to amuse her.

"It's been a long day. What're you doing here?"

I used that moment to glance around to see where Jene went. There was no sign of him, and that left me confused. Where did he go to hide?

"We're having a family dinner tonight, and I wanted to make sure that you were joining us." Bev said with a broad smile.

"Nobody mentioned it to me until now, but I guess I'll be there." I replied, and Bev clapped her hands excitedly.

"Excellent! Usual time, see you then." Bev left a kiss on my cheek and dashed out of the door.

Everything went quiet around me. I could hear the fridge humming from the kitchen but that was all. Once again, I tried to look for Jene, but I still couldn't see him.

"Jene, where did you go?" I called out a bit foolishly.

"I simply made myself invisible." Jene said as he reappeared on the opposite side of the room.

"How did Bev get in here?" I mused.

"She mentioned that she had borrowed the key from your father before she realised you were asleep."

"Oh, okay. I guess I'm stuck going to dinner." I huffed.

"I must admit that I see the dinner as a good omen. It will be a chance for you to see my lamp." Jene couldn't hide his enthusiasm, and that set fire to my earlier bitterness.

"Of course, the only thing that matters is your damn lamp." I crossed my arms and glowered.

"Little One."

"Don't use that patronising tone with me. Nothing irritates me more."

He sighed and said nothing. I had no clue what to say either. I'd bared my soul this morning and only received a negative response. The worst thing was that he had acted like it was the worst thing he'd ever had to endure. There's no way I'd ever attempt throwing myself at him again.

"I need to explain much to you before you attend the dinner to try and see my lamp." Jene said, and I frowned at him.

"What? What could you possibly need to explain to me?" I flopped back onto the couch.