Chapter 21

Chapter 21

A few days later was the first time I realised that Harrison hadn't made a wish since our dreadful family dinner. It seemed a bit odd when he'd made dozens of wishes in one day before. I'd become used to Jene disappearing when I first knew him.

I busied myself in the kitchen cooking as I considered this thought. It wasn't like my selfish, greedy stepbrother to stop his many demands. I still recalled his injured hand from when he had tried to retrieve a wish during that dinner.

"Jene, out of curiosity here, but have you been keeping something from me?" I kept my words casual and light.

"What are you suggesting, Little One?" Jene looked up from where he sat trying to figure out how to peel a few potatoes. I'd showed him how but he didn't quite understand.

"Have you kept Harrison locked out of making wishes, like at the dinner?" I asked pointedly.

Jene paused before answering. He made sure to concentrate on using the peeler on the potato. I placed the spatula that I'd been using on the table top, and approached him. Jene quite deliberately ignored me.

"You need to answer my question." I said as I pressed a finger against his chest.

"Yes." The word exploded out of him, and he looked relieved to admit the truth.

"Why?"

"He has had enough wishes to last many human lifetimes, and I do not want to aid him anymore." Jene stated.

"Don't you have to? Isn't that a part of the rules?" I went back to stirring the meal.

"She-Gen removed a wish. In doing so, it changed the rules regarding my lamp. Your stepbrother has a more tenuous hold on the lamp now. With a wish forfeited, the power to attend wishes returns to the genie. I wish to use my power only here with you." Jene told me with a cute, boyish grin that appealed to me.

"It explains why you haven't left the house in a puff of smoke to attend wishes." I winked at him knowing full well that neither of us had been far away from the other.

Just as Jene went to speak, my phone rang. A groan escaped me because I knew it would be someone I didn't want to talk to. I'd had a lot of phone calls in the last week or so, but I'd avoided doing anything social. Spending time with Jene had become my top priority. My hand reluctantly answered the phone and brought it to my ear.

"Isla, I thought you weren't going to answer." Tammy Lee's voice made me want to groan louder.

"Hey, Tammy Lee." I forced enthusiasm into my voice.

"I'm having an event tonight, and I really want you to attend." She pleaded, which in Tammy Lee speak meant that she wanted a big name at her party to flash around and say that she knew me.

"I don't think I can." Getting my words in quickly didn't faze her.

"Isla, we all know you've got a new man, so why don't you bring him with you. C'mon, you know you'll have a great time." Her voice went sickly sweet and I sucked back a sigh. She'd have a great time using my dad's name to highlight that his daughter would attend.

"Go." Jene interrupted my thoughts as Tammy Lee kept trying to convince me.

I turned to see a serious demeanour come over his face. That worried me. Jene had been nothing but smiles, grins and cheeky expressions since we'd been here in the house together. I had to wonder what encouraged this more grim countenance.

"Why?" I asked him.

"We must attend." Jene said in a firm voice.

"Fine," I rolled my eyes at his evasive comment. "We'll come to your party. Where are you holding it?" I forced more cheeriness as I spoke.