Chapter 5

Chapter 5

Jene didn't return. I wasn't sure whether to let this upset me or relieve me. How had I become used to his presence in only a few hours? There was so much to consider that I chose to focus on the party my friends expected tonight.

The doorbell rang, and Tammy Lee strode through my door with her usual vigorous grace. I couldn't tell her about Jene. In fact, I didn't have any friends close enough to me that I'd consider telling them about how my day had progressed. My collection of friends were simply the social butterflies that I, as the daughter of Les Martin, should always gather into my net.

Thinking about that saddened me. How could I have nobody to listen to the events of my day? Scores of people wanted to be my friends, or I counted them as friends, but nobody actually knew me that well. I dwelled on this as my friends all streamed out to the pool.

Somehow, Jene had set this melancholy feeling on me. I missed him, and I'd only met him a mere few hours ago. He was someone who I could talk to. I knew he'd listen and believe me. Then again, he was also a genie.

The party was in full swing. The pool contained too many people chatting, drinking or making doe eyes at each other. I remained on my chair with a sense of isolation surrounding me.

A puff of smoke appeared in front of me, and my heart lifted. I heard the gasps but ignored everyone, except who appeared in the smoke. Silence echoed around the pool, and every eye aimed at me.

"Did you invite your stepbrother? I thought you couldn't stand him." Tammy Lee came up to me with an excited glance at Jene, and I frowned.

"My step brother?"

"Little One, due to the wish, everyone will see me as your stepbrother. Nobody but you can see the real me." Jene leaned down to whisper to me.

I groaned as I realised exactly how Harrison's wish would play out. Spending the summer pretending Jene was my stupid stepbrother Harrison would annoy me no end. Maybe that's what Harrison had intended.

Ruining his life by stealing back the lamp for Jene now became my focal point. The anger starting to flow through me demanded the lamps return.

"Here I am." Harrison preened for his adoring crowd, and Jene took a step back towards me.

I stared hard at the image of Harrison in front of me. Was that actually him? I then turned to Jene, who delivered a mighty devilish grin my way. That grin stole my breath with a delightful whoosh.

Harrison stood out like a star, and everyone focused on him. That allowed me to speak with Jene alone, which I much preferred.

"What's going on?" I asked Jene.

"I have no desire to pretend to be him, let alone endure the suffocating attentions." Jene's gaze now drifted to my so called friends who continued to surround Harrison.

"It's an illusion, like the women turning into lizards?" I asked as I also looked over at Harrison.

"Yes. He will no doubt seem real enough to impress them."

"That's a relief. I thought you'd end up stuck as him all night." I said it, and I realised, a little too late, that I meant it as well.

Less than twelve hours ago, I didn't know Jene, but I'd come to appreciate his presence. Seeing him pretending to be Harrison would've angered me more. With a wince, I couldn't deny my attachment to him only growing since meeting him this morning.

I knew I shouldn't do this to myself. Attaching myself to a genie had to be the worst idea I'd ever had in my life. What I struggled with was how at ease I felt around him. Jene could tell me the most obscure things and I believed him.