Chapter Twenty Seven: Something Missing

A/N Hellooo everyone. Sorry it took so long to update:( I'll try to do it more often. Is anyone else excited for the TMI tv series?!?! Okay okay you can read the chapter now:) enjoy!

************************************

Jace's POV

I walked back inside Taki's, disheveled and confused. As I ran a hand through my hair absentmindedly, I approached Alec, who still stood at the cash register. I explained to him everything that just happened, and as I went on his expression grew more worried.

When I finally finished, he turned to grab our takeout bags. Turning back around to face me, his eyes were clouded with uneasiness and concern.

"This can't be good, Jace. They talked about Clary misbehaving? And 'one will be chosen to enter, one will be chosen to exit'?" he asked as we walked out onto the sidewalk. I nodded in response, and he shook his head.

"Why do bad things keep happening to all of us?" he asked in complaint.

I shrugged, then pointed out, "Things were nice for a little while." Alec laughed dryly at my comment.

"So..." I started, changing the topic. "How are you and Magnus?" I asked.

We walked past Central Park, and I saw children climbing up the large birch trees. I felt a pang of envy at how easy their lives were, how the only worry on their minds was probably if they were having spaghetti for dinner or not.

Alec answered me, shaking me from my thoughts. "Let's just say he's made me watch more mundane tv shows than a Shadowhunter should be allowed to watch." He grinned and I chuckled at the picture of Alec and Magnus watching mundane television together.

The sun had begun to set, and the sky was an array of blues and oranges. I couldn't help but think longingly of how Clary would probably be eager to paint it.

Before I knew it, Alec and I arrived at the doors of the Institute. They swung open for us, and we set down all of the food on the counters of the kitchen. Alec yelled, "We have food!" in expectation for the others to come downstairs.

Isabelle ran down the stairs, saying, "I'm starving. No, actually though, I haven't eaten since this morning." She tore open a bag, and started nibbling on a french fry.

"Where are the others?" Alec asked her.

She finished her chewing, then answered, "Tegan and Sam are packing."

Alec raised an eyebrow, and I asked for him, "What about Lindsay and Justin?"

She smirked at me, then said, "They're on a date."

Alec nearly choked on a nacho, and I looked at Isabelle incredulously. "A date?" I asked disbelievingly. "What, is Justin's idea of a date playing monopoly and looking through pictures of cats?" Alec laughed and Isabelle playfully scowled at me.

"No, actually. They're going to a movie then a fancy dinner." Isabelle said.

I smirked and said, "Still not that exciting. When Clary and I went on a date, Simon was a rat and we rode vampire motorcycles. Not to mention we made out in a greenhouse on her birthday." Isabelle giggled and popped another fry into her mouth.

"I think you win." Alec said, making me laugh myself. All of us cast our eyes downward, clearly thinking the same thoughts about Clary.

"I miss her." Isabelle said quietly. I looked up to see her worried eyes.

"We all do, Isabelle. We'll get her back soon." Alec said, reassuring her.

If only, I thought.