Chapter 1

Alex was so tired of all the noise on the plane. It had already been a rough week and she did not need screaming babies, kids fighting and 'Chatty Cathy' that was sitting next to her. Just as Alex made up her mind to create a scene and tell everyone what she was thinking, She heard the wonderful voice of the captain. "Ladies and gentlemen we will be landing in 15 minutes, weather today is a hot 102 in Dallas enjoy your stay."

Thirty minutes later Alex was celebrating her exit from the plane, happy that there was some pushing and shoving on her part. Now she just has to wait for her idiot cousin Mel.

Mel and his wife Trudy had a ranch, that she inherited from her father, near Gran out in Reagor Springs. Trudy has been taking care of Gran but as Mel says 'she is too delicate to handle Gran'. Trudy is a mousy little thing that thinks Mel hung the moon. Mel is an arrogant blowhard that wouldn't have a pot to piss in if he hadn't married Trudy.

I sat down outside the terminal to wait. He knew my plane got in at 11 am but, Mel being Mel, he probably didn't leave home until 11 just to make me wait. Alex hated sitting. Sitting lead to thinking. So here she was now contemplating her life. Two failed marriages, being fired from her job and running out of options.

Alex met her first husband Adam when she was 16 and he was 19. Swearing eternal love to each other they eloped and got married. To say her daddy was pissed would be an understatement. Then two years later they realized that they were in lust not love, so that was the end of marriage number one.

Three years later she met John. He was her whole world and she would do anything to please him. After 17 years of marriage their lives were settled into a routine. John traveled for business and she was the happy home maker or so she thought. Then he came home one night, not on his usual schedule and asked her for a divorce. What she didn't know was that the last 10 years of her life had been a lie. John had not 1 but 2 mistresses and one of them was pregnant with his second child. The oldest was 10. I was devastated. He always refused to have children, said he didn't like kids. I see now that he just didn't want any with me.

The cherry on the cake of my life was when I was fired from my job. After John left I spent days crying, drinking and laying in bed. I used up all my personal, sick and vacation time before I was able to go back to work. Needless to say that when my car broke down that morning I was worried. I called to let my manager know that I'd be late and she told me to come to her office when I got in. Three hours later I was sitting in front of her desk hearing those dreaded words, ' per company policy I had no more time to use for this morning and I was being let go.'

Two months later there I was with no income, no job prospects and very little money. Then I got the call from Gran to come out to Texas.

That week as I was packing up I made a resolve that I was done with men, after all I did not want to end up like my cousin Rose. On her 4th marriage and it was on the rocks.

I was so busy thinking I didn't hear him walk up. "Alex Rodgers! How the hell are ya?" Mel smirked.

"I'm fine Mel, what took you so long?" I glared at him irritated.

Of course he just ignored my question, like the jackass that he is and grabbed my bags.

This is gonna be a long drive to Gran's.

One year later

Alex had gotten into a routine. Wake up, shower, dress then wake Gran. Once Gran finished her morning bits, it was on to the kitchen where Gran set in her wheelchair at the table sipping a cup of coffee while I made us breakfast. After breakfast I took her back to bed and finished any chores around the house. The only change was an occasional trip to the Walmart in Waxahachie or the bank. That is until this morning.