XXXXIX - Rosario (1 of 2)

I spent the next few hours attentively examining the vines that ran on the walls inside our tiny hole.

Vincent was busy poking his head through the narrow slit in between the twisted shafts that hid us.

Occasionally, Ethereals passed by. Seemed like none of them noticed us.

I craned my neck and saw an Ethereal. It was still carrying Apple's severed arm like a trophy. I had to bite my lower lip hard to keep from screaming. All I could do was take deep rapid breaths and sink back into the hollow.

More hours passed, I lost track of time. Everything was so still and quiet I dozed off leaning on the trunk.

I woke up to a long high pitched whistle followed by two short ones. It was Vincent. I rubbed my eyes and watched him as he did the whistle again.

"What's that for?" I murmured to his shoulder as he squeezed right back in.

He seemed a bit surprised that I was already awake. "Rosario taught me that whistle. If she heard it, she'll know we're okay and hopefully she'd try to find us," he answered blankly.

I gave him a weak nod. "Assuming that she finds us, what then?"

Vincent's eyes were vague when he averted his gaze, the shadows playing on his face. "We'd just have to stay alive. And you'll just have to trust me."

In frustration, I sighed and shoved the small vial of SirenSoul into his hand. "Here. Rosario said you'll know what to do with it."

Silently, he stared at the vial, then at me as if some brilliant plan just popped into his mind. Probably, he and Rosario had planned ahead in secret.

"What time is it?" he asked, reaching into his pockets.

"I don't know." On impulse, I looked outside. It was impossible to tell since it was always night in this realm. "We've probably stayed here for more than twenty-four hours. Past ten, maybe close to midnight."

A sad faint smile shone on his face-the kind of smile you see on your parents' face when they send you away to college.

I felt my forehead crease upon hearing a rustling sound not too far to my left. My heart pounded inside my throat. I started to summon my Cataclyst but thought better of it. With the lack of space, I would most likely cut Vincent or myself.

I knew Vincent heard the noise too, but he ignored it. Whatever he was pulling off, it better be good.

"Midnight," he murmured thoughtfully, taking his time. Then, looking at me, he took my hand and placed something cold and round in it. "I know it's a bit late but... Merry Christmas."

Perfect time to celebrate. I thought my jaw just dropped a notch.

"Seriously," I hissed, torn between incredulity and annoyance. When I opened my hand, Mom's tear-shaped crystal locket was in there, glistening weakly in the dark as if it had its own source of light.

"It's the only present I'd ever give to you, so take extra care of it," he said, his silver eyes melting.

I faked a muffled cough and fixed my eyes on his chin. "Uh, it's my mom's. So technically it's mine. You can't give me what's already mine."

A simple thank you would have been overrated.

One corner of his lips pulled up into a lopsided cryptic smile. "Ever heard of the phrase, it's the thought that counts?"

"Maybe," I replied in an undertone. Letting out a soft grunt, my eyes distractedly shifted from his face to the forest then back. "Too bad I don't have something to give you."