X - The Visitors (2 of 2)

--XIII--

"She's awake," I heard Lindsay say as I struggled to open my eyes.

Looking around, I noticed that I was back in my hospital bed. I was surrounded by Carter, Lindsay, Dad and the most unexpected person—Miss Rosario Cruz, my Spanish teacher.

I rubbed my eyes, wondering if my encounter with Vincent Sinclair was just a dream or a desperate product of my imagination.

"How did I get here? Where's Vincent?" I said almost automatically, craning my neck to look behind them.

Dad and Lindsay threw bewildered looks at me. They clearly had no idea how horrifying the last night had been. And the more terrifying thing was that the terror-teacher had come to visit me for some unknown reason.

Had she discovered that I had always copied Carter's homework?

"Outside," Carter muttered dryly as he flopped wearily onto a seat.

"I... need to talk to him." Mindlessly, I got up from bed, pausing when I realized that the probes and the intravenous needle were already back where they were supposed to be when I clearly remembered tearing them off me.

Maybe it was just a dream.

Miss Cruz glanced at everyone else before saying, "Aramis. Can I talk to you? Just for a little while?"

Everyone seemed okay to leave us alone — except for Carter who glared occasionally at the door where Vincent usually stood—while they went out to grab some lunch.

"So am I going to detention or what?" I muttered with a smile to break the uncomfortable silence that prevailed between the two of us.

Miss Cruz sat straightly on a nearby chair. She removed her rimless spectacles and fixed her hazel eyes on me.

"For a couple of days, you'll be okay," she started, sounding serious. "You'll feel... normal. Even better than before. Stronger. Faster. But protective invocations won't last that long. Without him close, you will feel weaker and weaker with every day that passes so we'll have to take you as soon as you're ready to be discharged—"

"Protective invocations? W-what are you talking about?" I interrupted her, shaking my head.

Letting out a deep sigh, she glanced at the closed door and called, "Master."

The door opened slowly. Vincent stepped in, removing his glasses before reluctantly approaching us. His stark metallic gaze instantly dropped to the floor when I looked at him.

"Please tell her, Master," said the Spanish teacher to Vincent. As she did, she made sure not to make eye contact with him.

"M-master?" I stuttered, thoughts racing. "Miss Cruz? What's this all about? What is going on?"

With a grim look about her beautiful face, Miss Cruz shook her head and stood behind Vincent, still looking down. "Do you really have to repeat everything I say?" Miss Cruz muttered low, rolling her eyes.

"Aramis," Vincent called my name. Just that—his voice, the way he said it—sounded so special, so different it was compelling.

Gently, he reached his hand out to me until his fingers brushed the side of my neck, just below my left ear. Tiny needle pricks rushed throughout my body when he touched my skin, like electricity jolting my heart to beat faster. Like he had full control of it.