XVIII - Resolve

A beautiful Sunday morning. The birds twittered blissfully from outside the stone walls of Sinclair mansion as a thin ray of sun sluggishly snaked between the gaps of the heavily draped windows and caressed my cheek. By this time, people—normal people—would be looking forward to the day ahead. Going to church. Walking the dog. Shopping. Spending time with family. The day couldn’t be more perfect.

But not for me.

Not only because I just found out that I had been a dead girl walking among the living, or that by some twisted fate, I was coerced to live with the most obnoxious, insensitive, ungentlemanly creature on the face of the planet. Let’s hide this person under the name Vincent—who made me sleep on an incredibly uncomfortable chair while he held my wrist with an outstanding vice grip, whereas he, with all the coziness of the soft bed and the warm sheets, slept like a rock.

With a sigh of pity for myself, I pouted, thinking of ten most sadistic ways to make him cry. But in the end, it was myself who I had found in the brink of tears as I stared at his beautiful innocent sleeping face.

Of all the thirteen brothers to find me, why Vincent? Why couldn’t it be the Tenth, Kyoshiro, who gave out familiars as birthday presents? At least, he was thoughtful enough.

“Hey, wake up!” I yanked my wrist off his grip.

Good thing I was fully healed and ready to make an all-out rebellion against him.

Sadly, he didn’t let go. He must be part koala.

“It’s still early,” he groaned.

“Get up, Boss,” I said the last word exhausting a lifetime’s worth of sarcasm. “Don’t people die on Sundays?”

Grumbling, he rolled over, tugging me with him as he did. I knocked my shins on the edge of the bed and stumbled stomach first, slamming hard on his back.

“Okay,” I said exasperatedly breathing in and out. “That totally hurts!”

I snatched the pillow from under his head and wacked him. Repeatedly.

I wasn’t planning on stopping until I caused an internal bleeding or at the least, annoy him to death but just then, an invisible weight pinned me down. Excruciating pain travelled all over me like smoldering dull spokes prodding onto my skin.

Defiant! The Bind hissed at me. Repent!

Gasping for breath, Vincent stirred under me appearing startled. “What are you doing? Get off!” he yelled, attempting to heave me away from him without much success. The weight of the Bind prevented him from doing so.

Repent! The Bind commanded.

I just replied with something between a cough and a sardonic chuckle.

No. I told the Bind as I tried to get up, only to be knocked down against Vincent's back. If I'm going to suffer, I might as well let Vincent suffer with me.

Vincent looked pale, almost unable to breathe as beads of sweat formed on his temples. “You’re bound! Do what it tells you,” he choked wheezing.

“N-no,” I muttered through my teeth, my fingers clutching on his arm tightly to keep myself from whimpering. “I… would never… acknowledge you as… my master!”

YIELD! The Bind shrieked, making my blood curdle.

The weight pushing both of us down doubled with a nearly crushing force. I heard a few bones click which healed almost instantly since I was pressed hard on Vincent. His life force streamed through me like a warmer, like an elating sensation pulsing incessantly as it travelled within my body like a flood.