XVII - The Plan

Once again, I walked aimlessly through the confusing hallways of the mansion, cold, shivering as water dripped from my clothes with every step I took. I felt very small. Like an insect.

It was only then that I stumbled upon yet another door with a Roman numeral twelve carved intricately on the upper half. It didn’t interest me. I was done trying to figure out things that would just eventually validate that I shouldn’t exist at all.

“But the Purge wouldn’t be until the end of the year!” It was Vladimir’s voice. “By that time our brothers, or worst, Father would have known of the girl’s existence.”

Vincent replied calmly. “It’s possible, but if we succeed on keeping her hidden just for thirty more days, Vlad. With the countless traffic of souls during the Purge, the Overseers will slack off a little. There’s a great chance that they wouldn’t even notice her soul crossing over.”

“You seem decided,” Vladimir answered with a withdrawn tone. “Just curious. Why keep her alive if you’ve been planning on having her crossover all along?”

It took some time before Vincent gave a reply. “Because… because I couldn’t bear letting her suffer the same fate as Adrianna.” His voice almost faltered at the mention of the name.

“Vincent, Aramis seems to me like a very different person from Adrianna. Totally opposite, in fact, as I see it. In my opinion, she’d make a great familiar for you,” Vladimir said.

“No.” There was some conviction in his voice that made me admire and loathe him at the same time. “I don’t deserve a familiar. At first I thought I could try with her. It’s too late when I realized I was risking her soul to Oblivion. Aramis should crossover, have a great time in Nirvana, get her soul fished out for Rebirth. Maybe not soon, but someday, she’ll be reborn again and live a long normal human life,” he said weakly, a hint of nostalgia in his baritone voice.

Vladimir’s faint childish chuckle came from the other side of the door. “Very well said, brother. I didn’t know you had it in you.”

Vincent grunted exasperatedly. “What is it that we are talking about again?”

“I’m talking about concern, baby brother, concern,” Vladimir replied lightheartedly. It was weird, actually, hearing him call Vincent baby brother. Vincent just replied with a derisive hump. “But doesn’t she get to choose her fate?” Vladimir continued.

“Not if I could help it. Please understand. I just want the best for Ara—I mean, for all of us.”

With a deep sigh, Vladimir finally said, “So when do we tell Aramis?”

“What?”

“That by the end of December, we have to kill her. Again.”

I found myself running away bare footedly. With all intent of getting as far away from Vincent, from Vladimir as fast as I could. I had no idea where I was heading to but anywhere was better than here. My feet started to give up on me, but I kept staggering forward. My mind raced in pointless circles. I thought of escaping and going home. Only, there were a few problems. I wouldn’t be able to get out of the mansion without a horde of wraiths on my tail and secondly, if and when I make it home, I wasn’t sure that Dad wouldn’t try to kill me again.

Hopelessly, slumped down in a corner and stared blankly at the floor.

“There you are,” said a baritone voice. Startled, I about scrambled away when the owner of the voice became visible to me. It was Amyr, a worried look on his face. “Where have you been?”