XVI - Replacement

18 - Replacement

"Are you okay?" I asked Mei.

She nodded, forcing a sad smile, her pixie eyes a bit misty. "I'm just worried about Master Vladimir's health. And I really felt bad disobeying him." She sighed as we sat on the floor, trying to clean up the mess Vincent made out of the center table, deliberately falling silent as we picked up the chunks of marble.

"Sorry," I murmured, dropping my gaze.

Mei shook her head. "It wasn't your fault. Things like these happen. Well not exactly like your situation but you get the point. We... Amyr, Byron Flynn and I, we don't blame you."

Through the ceiling to floor window, I could see the other familiars outside, cleaning the yard. They managed to make a huge pile of dead wraiths almost ten feet tall. With one forceful shove, Amyr knocked the pile into the hole. He kicked the remaining dead bodies like soccer balls, bouncing off the twisted trunks of the giant willow tree before they tumbled into the pit.

When he saw me looking, Amyr smiled and gave me a wink. With a growl, Byron Flynn pounced and tackled Amyr to the ground before he trotted away, seemingly pleased with himself.

"But Rosario does. Do you have an idea what Vincent's plan is?" I asked Mei as I stared thoughtfully at the dimly lit hallway where Vincent and his brother disappeared an hour ago.

She shrugged. "No. But if it was my choice, I would rather he complete your Resurrection and keep you." A smile played on her lips. "I've always wanted a sister. As you can see, Rosario and I don't get along much."

I smiled back, shooting a chunk of marble into the bin. "Yeah. I have no idea why she hates me so much."

"She's just being overprotective about Master Vincent, that's all. It's a long story but I don't think it's appropriate that you hear it from me. Give her some time. Hopefully, she'll warm right up to you and share the story." She stood up, shook the dust off her dress and offered me a hand.

With her help, I got up mumbling. "Yeah, I'll keep my fingers crossed. So, I just wanted to ask. You said your master is Vincent's older brother but it seems to me like I haven't seen him yet."

A soft giggle escaped from her lips. "Yes you've seen him."

"I did? Who?"

"Master Vladimir, who else?" When I knotted my brows, Mei just smiled. "He's older than Master Vincent by about eight years. I see why you're confused because of their appearances but he's definitely the older brother."

The boss is a little boy. Let's play toy soldiers as he ordered. Why not? Ugh. "Why-I know... Long story?"

"Long story," Mei repeated. "For immortals, it's always a long story."

"If you don't mind me asking... How old are you?"

As if pondering for a moment, Mei's forehead creased. "I lost count actually, but I was mortally born in the dawn of Ming Dynasty, just before the Great Wall of China had been reconstructed."

I wasn't really good in World History but the word dynasty must mean that she'd been around for a very, very long time. And bearing in mind that I was pretty much a zero at Math, I didn't try to count how many years either.

"Master Kyoshiro-the tenth son of Master Pilgrim-found me. I was dying of a disease back then and he bargained for my soul." There was a hint of longing in her voice, as though she was having one of those back-in-the-days moment. "The Tenth gave me to Master Vladimir for his thirteenth birthday. That was the day my Master Vladimir was immortalized."