XII - Leaving (2 of 2)

--XIII--

I had gotten a few miles away from home quickly, only to realize that I didn't know what to do next. But when a crumpled piece of half-burnt parchment fell from my jacket pocket, I steered the truck to my destination as fast as I could.

You know where to go.

Route 61, The Sinclairs, Ashland-Centralia Border.

P.S. Watch out for the hole.

As I reached the main highway to Route 61, I heard them coming.

"Running but going nowhere," the voices chanted menacingly.

My hands were trembling. But I did my best to tune the voices out and concentrate on my driving.

The sky seemed to darken with ear-splitting thunder claps, along with the maddened chorus of cackles of the creatures that trailed after me. The hairs on the back of my neck prickled, goose-bumps appearing on my arms.

I cursed under my breath, flooring the pedal until the gauge reached over ninety. The engine rumbled dangerously. The road was slippery due to the afternoon downpour. Upon hearing the tires skidding against the pavement, I eased my foot on the pedal. The truck might not make it if I pushed it to its limits.

Because of the fog, the road was getting hazier by the minute. It wasn't just the fog. I must have lost too much blood because my vision was starting to get blurry. And as if things weren't bad enough, rain started to pour.

Let me correct that. The heavens started to empty its seething rage on me.

Again, the grating voices filled my ears like rusty knives being scraped against each other. "Rayne, Rayne don't run away. We'll come again another day!"

I didn't know what was more horrifying; the fact that I was being chased by evil spirits or their lame sense of humor. The voices seemed to be coming from under the ground.

My heart was pounding against my chest. I took one brave look at the rearview mirror, half-expecting to see something unearthly terrifying settled at the backseat. There was no one around; no one living at least.

I stepped on the gas pedal trying to fight the urge to shut my eyes and cover my ears. I needed both my hands on the wheel. Trembling and sweaty, they steered the car through the dark street leading to Ashland's border.

Blood curdling cackles reverberated from everywhere, loud and mocking as a dozen more hungry spirits hovered in pursuit of me. I ground my teeth, struggling to keep my concentration and not succumb to the urge to look back to whatever creatures they were that lurked in the cold darkness. Instead, my left hand fumbled into my jacket pocket for the small piece of paper with a haphazardly scribbled note from Vincent.

"C'mon Aramis Rayne! You can do this!" I gritted through my teeth as I squinted against the shadows cast by the gloomy-looking trees lining the road.

With difficulty, I tried to tune them out again, my eyes tearing with every ragged breath I struggled to take. Soon, I could already see the U-turn sign blocking the road to Centralia. It was a dead-end.

The road block read 'We apologize for the inconvenience. Please make a turn now'.

"Great! Just downright marvelous!" I screamed grudgingly.

I looked around panting, unable to see my surroundings clearly. With my hopes turning to dust, I slammed my hands on the steering wheel and did the turn, looking right and left for any sign of the Sinclair's house. But there was nothing. Just an empty road. All I could see were trees left and right, stretching into the woods.