VI - Prediction (1 of 2)

Carter parked the red Volkswagen Bug in front of an apartment complex somewhere in Fountain Springs. There were a couple of cars parked in front of the stark-white wooden porches. The building looked ancient with dirty white ledges and old canopies jutting from the rafters just below the mold-gray roofing while an American flag hung from one of the porches, perhaps in place of a drape.

"Just remember, if Mrs. Moseley tells you anything that has got to do with future and fortune and things like that, don't take it seriously. I remember the first time Lindsay invited me here."

He flinched appearing to have a terrifying flashback I was afraid he would pee his pants.

"She warned me not to go out of the house on my ninth birthday or I'll lose my legs. As it turned out, Mom got me a couple of tickets to the amusement park for my birthday and I don't want to make her feel bad so I went and passed the day inside the Horror House with Lindsay. It scared the hell out of me... I mean the losing my legs part... not the Horror House," he said clearing his throat as he killed the engines. "And whatever happens-"

"Whatever happens, don't attempt to eat her oatmeal cookies if I don't want to throw up for three days straight," I muttered finishing his own sentence for him. "Got it."

Carter told me that Lindsay's mom tells fortune and sells lucky charms for a living, which was pretty obvious since I almost got strangled by strings of lucky charm beads dangling down the doorstep as we entered their apartment.

Waving golden cat statues, Buddha figurines with freakishly creepy smiles, mini totem poles, dream catchers, Swarovski crystals, miniature indoor fountains, wind chimes-name it and they got it.

With a ton of lucky charms sprawled about everywhere, I began to wonder how Lindsay and her mom manage to get from place to place without doing a head butt match with the lounging Buddha. It must be a family talent.

Mrs. Moseley ushered us to the living room and offered a seat after she picked up all the red Chinese tassels lying about on the sofa. She was a petite middle-aged woman with big blue eyes and curly blond hair tied up in a messy bun. Her fingers, neck and wrists have more crystal and beaded trinkets than all the jewelry I owned in my entire lifetime.

"Lindsay will be out in a minute. Cookies?" Mrs. Moseley gave us a kind smile, setting a plate of oatmeal and chocolate chip cookies for us.

"No thanks. I just had a late lunch so..." Carter said almost immediately as he eyed uneasily on me as if saying, "Eagle one, the plate of evil had landed on the coffee table. I repeat, the plate has landed" or something like that.

Roger that. I cleared my throat and gave the blond woman an apologetic smile.

"W-we brought mango tarts for Lindsay," I said handing the box to Mrs. Moseley which the woman took with a smile, my hand inadvertently touching hers.

"Thanks Aramis," said Mrs. Moseley.

"H-how'd you-"

"Know your name?" she leaned closer to me and whispered, "I know many things."

Carter squirmed on his seat and threw me a meaningful look as if to say "I warned you".

"I'll go check on Lindsay," he muttered anxiously. Before I could even open my mouth to protest, he limped toward Lindsay's room after tripping on a huge jade elephant.

With a grave look on her gentle face, Mrs. Moseley stood beside me and without a word, took my hand. She ran her index finger along the lines of my palm for several moments before she gazed at me with perilous dark eyes.