Chapter 21

Not His Juliet by K. Jessica Ramirez

Chapter 21:

Austin passes Nikki and I a cup of pink sweetened tea. Remembering Mary-Lou's awful 'tea' I cautiously take a sip. I My tongue bravely ventures out towards the tea to at least give it a try for Austin’s sake. I've never been a tea kind of person, way more of a coffee gal. To my surprise however his tea doesn't taste half bad. To be honest it's pretty decent, I mean I'm not going to be replace my daily coffee for it anytime soon but it's something I could handle drinking it once in a while. 

Pulling the cup back from my lips I stare into its pink substance. Looking into the glass I see my reflection and I stare at it oddly. I can't recall a time when my hair looked messy my clothes out of place and yet a smile still etched on my lips. I watch my smile widen as I take in my carefree appearance. A purposeful cough breaks me of my thoughts. My head snaps to attention at the noise only to end up staring at Nikki and Austin whom are staring back with amusement.

"What?" I ask feeling my cheeks begin to burn with embarrassment at my wandering mind.

Austin cracks a boyish smile at my embarrassments causing Nikki to giggle at my situation. Somehow I figure she remembers or is at least remembering more of last night’s conversations then she lets on. The last thing I need is anyone remembering some drunken confession.

"You looked like you were heading into war when you tasted the tea and then..." Nikki informs me in between her breathless laughter.

Random fact about Nikki, she's always had a fetish with making references to war. No I don't know why she just does. Yes it is weird and I should really have her checked out. Sometimes she sounds like those old geezers, I mean elders, who go off about 'when I was in the war...'

"You just smiled." Austin finishes for Nikki and then adds, "You looked in mighty deep thought doll face."

I shake my head at them feeling my embarrassment sky rocket.  Just as I'm about to respond to them with some witty retort Austin’s house phone shrills out a ring capturing our attention. Austin gets up to answer but Jay runs in and beats him to it.

A smile covers my lips at Jay's adorable innocence. What a cutie. Jay picks up the phone as Austin smirks at him. My smile grows bigger at the sight before me. These two boys made my heart beat a little faster. I catch Nikki staring at me suspiciously pointedly staring at the smile on my face. I tone my smile down a notch and listen to Jay trying to act mature on the phone.

Ironic how a little while ago I would've thought nothing more of this little man trying to act mature. I had gotten so surrounded by my world and the people in my world that I forgot there are others different of me. Others who don't always speak proper or aim for the perfect image all the time. The others of whom I admire, even tiny little Jay.

"Sky Ranch residence, this is Jessie speakin'. How may I help ya'll dis mornin'." Jay's adorable youthful voice answers.

I hold in the small fit of giggles that threaten to burst out due to his precious boyish face. J's face scrunches up and all of a sudden he looks hurt. I can't make out the words of the other side but I sure can tell they're yelling at poor little Jay. My anger bubbles at whatever asshole is on the other line. How dare he raise his voice at a young child?

Austin snatches the phone away as he notices the raised voice on the other line. Nikki and I watch him lift the old house phone to his ear with interest. Austin is quite for a moment he looks perfectly calm but something in his eyes underlies a growing anger. Austin’s grey eyes snap over to meet mine before he holds out the phone. 

"For you." He spits out.

Is he upset? Hurt? Angry? I can't make out the exact emotion behind his still charming grey eyes but deep inside me I know that his emotions are somewhere along those lines. Don't ask me how I know, I just do.