Chapter 7

Not His Juliet by K. Jessica Ramirez

Chapter 7:

"Can't we stop." Austin whined trailing somewhere behind me.

Austin has managed to keep up with my fast pace jog until a little after three miles where his speed started to decline.

"Suck it up handsome, I didn't ask you to join me." 

I freeze as I catch the words I just blurted out. I turn over my shoulder to see his reaction to my blunt comment. He however doesn't even seem to take into account my words as he staggers to keep up with me. I silently shrug off my words. Keep your crotch in your pants White you're engaged, remember?

I come to a stop waiting for Austin to catch up as I reach the five mile mark. Austin comes up soon after huffing and puffing deep breaths loudly. I try to hold in my smile as I watch him absentmindedly wipe off the beads of sweat from his forehead. He's taken off his cowboy hat in an attempt to cool himself down by fanning himself with it.

"How you not sweatin' barrels?" Austin exclaims as he takes a seat under the shaded tree.

I shrug and take the seat next to him trying to calm my own breathing. A moment of silence passes between us with only Austin’s heavy breathing as a reminder of our own company. Austin’s company is different from James. Silence with James is so common it's almost like I'm alone but with Austin it's the same comfortable silence expect I'm very much alerted by his presence.

"You do this every mornin' back home?" Austin asks as he stares out into the acres of open fields.

"Back in New York I can't actually go running like on the streets because it's so busy but I do run on the treadmill every day for three hours." I answer automatically.

"Everyone do that?"

"Pretty much."

"Hmm" Austin hums and then turns to me and adds "you goin' to be runnin' every damn day huh?"

I nod at him. The freedom to actually run out on the streets is the only benefit of this damn trip. I'm not about to give that up anytime soon. It may as well be the only thing that'll keep my sane over this summer.

"Gonna have to buy me some 'jogging' clothes" Austin mutters.

"You don't have to run with me Austin. I'm serious, I can handle myself. I don't need to remind you I can bench ninty-five pounds, do I?"

"You're really dang proud of that number huh?" Austin comments shaking his head with laughter.

I huff turning from him to jump to my feet. I start to walk back in the direction of Jackson residence. I hear Austin follow after me before I actually see him walk beside me. He looks amused but makes no comments or puts any effort into starting a conversation on our way home.

As we come across the fence where Austin first joined me for my run I stop. Austin comes to a halt too looking at me questionably.

"Well, goodbye" I say motioning to the house on the property.

"I'm walkin' ya home, whether you like it or not." Austin states as he continues to walk down the dusty road. 

As we arrive onto Jackson residence Austin bids me farewell hastily and it makes me question his motives. First he's all hell bent on joining me on my run to quote on quote protect me , from what I have no Idea, and then he runs like a preist out of lucifers home once we reach the residence.

Men, I'll never understand them.

I make my way inside of the house a little disappointed that James no longer lay half naked on the porch. I may just have skipped my run entirely to watch him wake up embarrassed. I hope someone at least got some joy from my prank. Something in me tells me Waylon may have gotten a good laugh from it which made my disappointment lessen.