Chapter 14

Not His Juliet by K. Jessica Ramirez

Chapter 14:

As the call comes to an end reality hits me. I just spoke to two people I never thought I'd ever do so again in my lifetime, but more importantly I've made arrangements to meet with them both. Am I dreaming? This must be some sick twisted nightmare.

I pinch my forearm and sure enough the slight twinge of pain shoots through me. Nope, fully awake, but where am I? It takes me a minute to register my surroundings. I lock eyes with Austin's and a reply of our night flashes in my head. From the moment of him agreeing to take me out to our shared kiss. I bring my hand up to touch my lips at the memory. They feel slightly swollen. My cheeks burn and I refuse to keep his eye contact any longer.

More important things need my attention and I can't risk wasting my time on a fantasy. Oh but what a wonderful fantasy he is. I shake my head in an attempt to rid my mind of the thoughts. Focus, White. First things first. I need to call Avery with my plans and then inform Nikki of them in text for her to understand when she's in a more coherent state. I'll also have to think about how I'm going to approach Stark and Nikki. Damn I was in for a hell of a ride. I just hope that if all goes to hell I can manage to live with it.

"I need to go to the Jackson residence." I muster up to the best of my ability but my voice still sounds like a strangled rabbit.

I look up at Austin's eyes and I can see the entire world in them. They look so deeply sad and I know he knows I'm putting whatever this is on hold to try and get my shit together. But also see he understands why I'm going it and for that I'm thankful for. Austin nods at me and starts up the truck while I call Avery. Maybe I can schedule for someone to just to and pick up Nikki at this moment so she could be here come morning.

The phone rings five times and with each ring I feel anxiety build. I'm sure I'll lash out on Avery if she doesn't answer even when I know it's the middle of the night.

"Miss White?" Avery answers the sleep evident in her voice.

I push back my frustration. Why do I have to be rude with everyone? Why do I have to push everyone out? I take a deep yoga breath before answering.

"I will need the jet prepared and ready for takeoff from Los Angeles California to where I am presently stationed." I speak into the phone.

Austin pays little if any attention to my call anymore. We drive the empty but oddly beautiful streets of this tiny town with only my voice as filler. I feel horrible for pushing him out but it's what I know. Plus I can't help but feel horrible for James too. Gosh I'm going to hell for everything I've done to these men, or worse I'll be a special on Jerry Springer.

"Of course." Avery answers automatically.

I can hear the light pitter patter of her mostly scheduling the flight online with my pilot.

"Passenger(s)?"

"Nichole Wh- Rebelle"

I can't help the small frown etched into my expression. Just one more thing to remind me that we aren't sister anymore, not really.

"Time?" Avery continues moving past my small stumble.

Akon once famously said, Blame it on the alcohol. So rightly I will do so.

"As soon as possible."

"The flight can be ready and waiting in less than two hours will that be alright Miss White?"

"Yes Avery...thank you."

A baffled sound comes from the other end of the line followed by a long silence.