Chapter 9

Chapter 9:

Day four of utter hell in this lousy state. I may or may not be suffering from withdraw of lack of contact with the outside world. This town literally has no internet I have yet to discover. Well to be  fair I haven't done much exploring but can you blame me? I have to deal with the she devil AKA James's "loving" mother, her horrific offspring, and that Mary Lou. I could really use a night out in the city with Natalie. I'd even settle for a call to my mother. We all know things are pretty bad if I'm trying to contact my mom.

After I left Austin’s house I spent the rest of my day locked in James's room. I need to set things straight for myself. I can't keep doing what I'm doing. I came here to share the news of my engagement with my fiancés family and to win them over and I have done no such thing. I'm Angela White and when I have a job to do I do it, come what may. I can't keep wasting so much time with Austin. Sure he's friendly and he makes my days here just a little bit better but I shouldn't place it upon him to do so. If anyone should be helping me it should be James.

Being shut away from society makes me realize that I may be a tiny bit of a workaholic, maybe. Seriously I'm itching to just pick up my phone to bark orders, check in with all levels, and maybe even create my schedule for when I arrive. I've always been able to throw myself into my work when I needed some form of peace.

Here however I had no connection to the outside world. Austin keeps running through my mind like there’s nothing better to think about. I keep seeing his deep grey eye piercing into mine or his curly brown hair falling onto his face.

Okay that's it I need human company a.s.a.p. or I might start talking to the damn deer head mounted on the wall. I jump off the bed and race down the hall for Waylon maybe he could hangout.

I spot Molly cleaning in the living room. She'll know where Waylon is.

"Hey Molly." I greet politely moving a little closer to her.

She looks up confused but once she makes eye contact with me her eyes brighten. Okay weird. To my knowledge she hadn't even gotten over me mistaking her for the help. 

"Great, there you are! You can finish up my chores for the day. Momma left your list on the counter."

She spoke so quickly and before I can stop her or even slow her down she's out the door and half way down the road in the truck. So much for enjoying the day with company. Damn Molly sticking me with all these chores. Oh well At least I'll have something to do know.

I turn to walk into the kitchen and grab the list off the counter. The list has all my chores from yesterday with an added sum. Great, not. I have to feed the horses, cows, chickens, and pigs then I have to clean all there stables. I have to milk the cows, collect the hen’s eggs, groom the horses, and water the pig's mud hole. Yeah and that's only my outside chores.

Misses Jackson also expects me to clean all the bedrooms, hand wash everyone’s clothes and then air dry them, sweep and mop all the floors. Yeah as if. I'm only doing the outdoors chores because I'm in need of physical labor to distract me from my own thoughts but I won't lower to house work only because I know she thinks that’s where woman belong.

I walk out of the house muttering to myself over this bullshit. If I plan to even finish half of the outdoors things I better get started. I set off to feed all the animals first. I throw half eaten food into the pigs pen, open the gates for the cows to eat grass, throw corn seeds to the chickens and feed the horses carrots from the fridge because I have no idea what they eat and semi remember someone telling me they eat carrots. Oh well as long as it doesn't roll over and die I think I'm fine.

When I finish I decided I will not be cleaning up after any animal. Especially after catching a whiff of the horse stables. I'm a huge animal rights support but that doesn't mean you'll catch me cleaning up their poop anytime soon. No, thank you.