Chapter 6

Not His Juliet by K. Jessica Ramirez

Chapter 6:

You can almost feel the awkwardness in the air. Molly and Waylon are speaking to Misses Susana Jackson completely ignoring me. I mean I get how confusing your daughter, her husband, and a considerably good looking family friend for the help is a bit crude but forgive and forget, right? Misses Susana Jackson and her family do not have to be so brusque towards me.

This is seriously not what I expected when I had agreed upon coming here. If I had known that James' family is not only country trash, but impeccably unmannered I undoubtedly would not have even agreed to marry James. Yes, I am feeling that antagonized by James and his family.

That jerk just leaves me to go 'base burn', which I've figured out means 'to go out drinking', or get drunk, I'm not entirely positive, with some girl without my consent. It's not that I am one of those women who need to know all the who, what where when and whys I just think it'd be considerate of him to not leave me to fend for myself in unknown territory. Plus to make it even worse he leaves me with his wonderful mother.I'm inching to get back to New York already. I even miss the homeless. I tear myself from my sullen thoughts and try to tune into the conversation before me.

"Ya'll will still be coming 'round for Sunday dinner right Molly?" Misses Jackson asks directing her question towards her daughter.

I internally raise an eyebrow and turn to really inspect James's sister. I vaguely remember Austin mentioning her marriage. My eyes spot a small gold looking wedding band placed snugly on her ring finger. I can't help but wonder about her age, Molly looks sixteen at most. Her husband Waylon, A.K.A. 'Hangover', sits besides her sluggishly indubitably not concentrated on the ladies conversation.

"Yes Ma." Molly answers dully, drawling out her southern accent.

I choose this moment to intervene. I might hate James at the moment but I'm still engaged to him. Besides don't they always say Tennessee people are huge on family, at least the movie prove so. Either way I need to make them like me or at the pure minimal concur them to the level of acceptance where they can stand to be near me.

"James never mentioned you were already moved out." I comment towards Molly in a questioning tone.

Molly turns to me with a dust of abhorrence in her eyes but it's declined, for which I'm thankful for. Her mother however turns at the sound of my voice as if just now remembering my presence. She sends blunt daggers in my direction as if Satan himself were in the room. I hold her dirty look for a moment before turning towards Molly. I have never let anyone intimidate me I am not starting now.

"That is of none of your business." Misses Jackson spats cacophonous continuing to send petty glares in my direction.

Feeling my temper bubble heatedly trying to rise to the surface, but I push it down. This woman, no matter who she is related to, has nothing on me and I will not give her the smallest aplenty of satisfaction for speaking to me in this matter.

"Misses Jackson I sincerely hope I am mistaking the tone of your voice because I do not appreciate nor will I stand for anything below utter respect and polite behavior." I spat in her direction as threateningly professional as I can manage.

I stand from my seat as both woman stare dumbfound at my reply. I feel a smug smirk cover my lips. I may be knee deep in Tennessee land, but I am and never will be anything short of a powerful business woman.

"Doll face I may just take a likin' to you." Waylon chuckles, evidently laughing at the faces of Molly and Misses Jackson.

I smirk in his direction before turning back to the woman.