Chapter 4

Not His Juliet by K. Jessica Ramirez

Chapter 4:

That's it I've finally lost it. I can see it now 'Angela White dies from work withdraw'. The press will say 'She was such a hard worker' or 'Angela White queen of the business world'. James would take over my company until he realizes he can't handle it and he'll sell it. The world will be devastated at the lack of books that are no longer produced by White Publish.

Okay so maybe I'm overreacting a smidge but I really do feel like death is walking up the drive way right now. Just the noise of the New York traffic is making me homesick for my office. James has been calling me a workaholic all morning every time I complained. I am not workaholic, I'm just dedicated. Just a couple days ago I could have sworn James was too but now I guess not as much.

After dinner last night I had reluctantly agreed to follow through with the trip because honestly I keep feeling like I should be over the moon happy and I'm not and it makes me feel guilty. The least I could do for my fiancé is visit his family to share the news of our engagement. It doesn't sound like something so difficult to do but I'm not even out of New York and I already miss it. I'm thankful however that the rest of dinner was spent talking about anything other than the wedding and the trip. 

I don't know how I'm going survive being away from White Publishing for more than a day. I keep hoping that maybe his family lives by one of my branches so I can still manage to keep close tabs on my work without James finding out. He keeps insisting we take a break from our work while we're there. Shock isn't a big enough word to express what a huge surprise his demand was. James has never been one to take a single day off, let alone two months. I mean I pretty much promised to marry him because he held that attribute.

The James I know is out checking and double checking that all arrangements are made for our leave, but the James that wants to even take off is a man I've yet to meet. I don't really like this side of James. He acts so different from his normal self that it's just stressful and confusing. He won't even let me know anything about where his family lives either. I can't imagine a man like James coming from anywhere other than a high up city.

I've been stressing out on packing itself. Since James won't reveal where we're going I have no idea what the weather will be like or what styles are in use over there. I've taken my best guess and packed a couple sundresses, skinny jeans, blouses, undergarments. We will be gone all summer so I should most likely pack for warm weather.

I'm so use to only leaving my-our home for business trips that I keep feeling like I should throw in a couple of power suits. I can't help but feel irritated at James for not letting me know what I need to know even after I agreed to do something outside of my comfort zone.

The sound of the front door opening holds my attention away from my frustration. James must be home from checking everything. He could have checked everything was alright from home on his laptop but I think he's just as annoyed with my complaints as I am with his aloof behavior.

"James?" I call out as I throw in my toiletries into my business suit case.

I don't wear much makeup seeing as I refuse to support the makeup industry that revolves around insecure women so my toiletries is made up of a hair brush, deodorant, razors, etc.

"In here babe." He calls out from what sounds like the kitchen.

"Did you already pack?" I call out to him.

I turn to my desk where my laptop sits alongside my emergency/work phone. I know James said no work on the trip but I just can't deal with absolutely no contact with White Publishing. I'll just hide my laptop in my carry on bag along with my emergency/work cellphone.