Chapter Eight {Blades of the Blue Bird}

I broke through the trees to witness Yuzu being picked up by a monstrous, hairy hollow. Karin was stuck under one of its hands being crushed. "Yuzu!" I called out to the small girl, but I knew she would only barely be able to hear me. I unsheathed my Zanpakuto from my back and sliced the hollow's limb which held her captive, grabbing a hold of her before she fell to the ground. I handed her to my replacement soul, preparing for my next move. My attention turned to Karin who was still struggling under the hollow's weight. "Hang in there Karin; I'll be there soon!"

"Kukiko, help me!" Her cries sent a shiver down my spine, but Ichigo arrived before I could take action. The hollow lifted Karin carelessly before she lost consciousness.

"One hostage is all I need. I've been waiting for you Soul Reaper."

"Karin!" Ichigo desperately called out to his sister.

"Wow, now that's an ugly one," a soul reaper I'd never seen before said and I nodded my head in agreement. The hollow let out a deep laugh before a girl with short black hair covered in what seemed to be a cloak appeared before us. Ichigo instantly froze.

"It's not possible," Ichigo said quietly. The hollow continued to laugh. "It's her. It's the girl I saw that day six years ago. The one down by the river." My eyes widened as I realised what he was talking about. He'd explained to me before what had happened that night.

"That means," I trailed off as I shuddered. The thought was one I definitely didn't want to consider; Ichigo's mother was killed by the very hollow standing before us.

"It's Grand Fisher. That's the code name we've given him," Rukia explained, "He keeps himself invisible and disguises the lure coming out of his head as a human. Anyone who sees the lure he knows has high spirit energy and immediately attack and devours them, thus, gaining all of their power. For over 50 years, this hollow has evaded every soul reaper that's gone after him. And we know his favourite victims are women." My mouth opened agape as I learned about the monster standing in front of me. He took away one of the people I cared for all because she was a woman.

"So does that mean my mother was actually killed by," Ichigo started but Rukia cuts him off by nodding. His face turned to pure anger and rage coursed through my veins.

"Impressive. You have been lucky little boy; you saw my lure and yet you lived. Perhaps it was my intention to eat you on the spot for your spirit energy, but there's just something about the women... They're just too sweet and lovely for me to pass up." He continued to laugh and I could see that he was trying to bait Ichigo which pissed me off.

Ichigo let out a battle cry and charged towards Grand Fisher. "Ichigo!"

"Karin!" he yelled back as he brought his blade down but the hollow easily dodged.

"Don't be so reckless you idiot," Rukia said as she ran at him. The hollow's arm reached for Ichigo who jumped up onto a ledge. Grand Fisher jumped up and his hair grew. It took Ichigo off guard, getting a firm hold on him.

"Ichigo, no!" I yelled out. Thoughts were frantically through my mind, but my body refused to move.

"I knew you were ugly but up close you smell worse." I wanted to slap Ichigo and tell him that it wasn't the time for insults, but that wasn't possible. Rukia moved her hands to perform a kido.

"Disintegrate you black dog of Randineni. Look upon yourself with horror and then claw out your own throat. Bakudo number nine, strike!" Grand Fisher groaned in pain as a red light surrounded him.

"How dare you interfere?" His hairs began to grow again and struck Rukia, causing her to fly into a memorial.

"Rukia are you alright?" I asked walking up to her. She was panting heavily and a streak of blood fell from her forehead.