Chapter Three {A Brother's Devotion}

I didn't have my glove with me to get me out of my body, meaning that I wouldn't be able to get us out of our current predicament. I didn't know what to do; Orihime's body was lying on the ground lifeless. Her skin was paling and her usually bright eyes had gone dull with no signs of life in them.

I heard Tatsuki let out a cry as her body was flung across the room.

"No Tatsuki!" Her shoulder started to bleed from the impact of being thrown. This hollow was almost snake-like other than its arms. I kept staring at it; I couldn't seem to tear my eyes away. It began to make its way towards me.

"You see me don't you?" I took a step back without answering before it approached, grabbing me by the throat.

"Let me go you creep," I managed to croaked out.

Feisty now, aren't we?" he voice was filled with malice that made me want to crawl into myself. Without warning, something knocked the hollow, causing it to let me go. I tumbled across the floor before trying to regain my breath. Looking across the room, I realised who it was that slammed me out the way.

"Orihime!" I tried to lift myself from the ground when a pain shoots through my arm, causing me to gasp. "Don't tell me I broke it!" A chain was now firmly attached to Orihime's chest which, to my relief, was still connected to her physical body. The reprieve was short lived when the reality of the situation sinks in. I couldn't save us; without my powers, I didn't stand a chance against the monster before us. The only hope I had was to distract it, keeping it away from Orihime and Tatsuki until I could form a more solid plan. I stood up ignoring, the ache spreading throughout my entire body and made my way towards the opponent in front of me.

"You've come back for more? Orihime saved you once but you won't be so lucky next time." He cackled.

"I wouldn't be so sure about that. I've got some tricks up my sleeves for you buddy," I smirked despite the fear setting in; it was a giant lie. I had nothing that could help me here. He tried to punch me but I quickly dodge out of the way. "You're too slow!" I searched around for a solution but my brain fails to find anything of use. "Come on think! There has to be something!" The hollow came at me over and over trying to lay a hand on me. I managed to dodge it multiple times until my ankle twisted the wrong way and I crashed to the ground.

"Where are your tricks girl? I thought you'd be more of a challenge but it seems you were all talk. It's time to be devoured!" the monster roared. He reached out his arm and I close my eyes, waiting for him to take a hold of my body. All I hear is the sound of a blade slicing through flesh. I looked up to see Ichigo kneeling in front of me.

"Kiko, are you alright?" he asked with a worried expression. I simply gave a half-hearted smile in return. It seemed the hollow had retreated after Ichigo showed up. He held out his hand and I took it with my good arm, but as soon as I got up I fall straight back down. My ankle no longer had the strength to hold me. He frowned and quickly picked me up, throwing me over his shoulder. I was quickly carried down to the road and placed in front of Rukia. "Rukia I need you to fix her injuries," he said quickly as he stood back up and headed towards the room, "and take care of her."

"Don't worry about her Ichigo; just worry about the hollow in there," Rukia ordered. He nodded, leaping up towards the small apartment. When she was sure he had left, Rukia lifted her hands causing a green glow to appear.

"That's a neat little trick you got there." I wasn't extremely fond of her right now after her actions that afternoon, but I didn't want there to be any hate between us if she was going to help Ichigo and I with fighting off the hollows.

"Thanks. It's one of my better skills." After she says that things return to the silence other than the fight above us. I turn my attention to that just in time to hear one very important detail.