Chapter Four {The Monster Inside}

"Kisuke!" I called into the shop which, as per usual, was sorely lacking in customers, "I need to talk to you."

"You actually came to visit for a change. I was beginning to think that you'd given up on training." As he came into came into he, I could make out that signature grin of his.

"I was busy." I knew I was far too quick to defend myself and hurriedly changed the topic to the one I had come to discuss. "And you have explaining to do. There are so many details that you haven't told me and it's starting on my nerves. Why would you keep this from me?"

"I simply didn't believe they were relevant. Doesn't all that matter is that you slice the mask with you Zanpakuto?" Very little interest was shown in his query; I knew that he wouldn't find it a matter of importance.

"Of course not." Raising a brow, he turned to face me, "Knowing the truth gives me extra motivation. I feel better knowing that I'm saving the hollows' souls as well as the ones that they devour. Do you understand?"

Nodding in response, he walked further into his little shop and I followed. "Like me, it seems that knowledge is a big motivator." We stayed quiet for a few moments before I broke the silence.

"So, what are we going to do for training?" Kisuke and I made our way down to his underground training facility. I had to admit, I was extremely impressed when I first came down here; the entire space was absolutely massive.

"Last night, when Ichigo was fighting that hollow, why didn't you change into a soul reaper yourself?" His question was sudden and I was somewhat taken aback.

"I left my glove at home. I wasn't exactly planning on fighting monsters when going to a friend's house for dinner." With ease, he brushed off my sarcastic remark.

"I see. And how did you survive without your powers?" I was becoming suspicious. It wasn't exactly out of character for Kisuke to begin these sudden interrogations, but something was off.

"Why are you asking me all this?"

"Just answer." I sighed, playing along with this questionnaire.

"I wasn't planning on killing it, just distracting it long enough until Ichigo arrived. I did get a little beat up, but it worked out in the end." He covered his eyes with his hat as he normally did when he was thinking.

"Simple then. We work on being able to manifest your powers whilst still in your body so that if this happens again, you won't be in danger of death. It might not seem like it, but I don't want you to die."

"I know, I know; just don't talk to me so seriously. So, are you finally going to teach me kido?" I grinned. Kisuke had never been able to teach me kido before because he couldn't do it. Not that he didn't have to ability to; it's just that he wasn't any good.

"Well I'm not going to teach you but I finally found someone who can. Oh, Rukia~," he sang out. Sure enough, the dark haired, violet eyed Shinigami stepped out from her position behind a large boulder. I turned back to glare at the man before me.

"You told her!" I screamed, "She could tell her superiors and you know what that would lead to! I could be killed because of this."

"Your worries are not needed," she said meeting my eyes. "With the position I'm in," she paused, "telling the soul society about you will not benefit me in the slightest so why would I say a thing?"

"Position?"

"Never mind that. Let's stop this chit chat and get down to work before Ichigo starts wondering where the both of us are."

"Why would he be wondering where she is? Unless..."

"You're staying at Ichigo's?" My eyes widened with surprise.