Chapter Seven {Reminisce }

When I awoke the next morning, excitement stirred violently within me. The idea of getting stronger and having learned that there were releases to Zanpakuto which I could use made me want to skip school. I wanted to visit Kisuke and tell him the news. For some reason, possibly because I woke up early filled with enthusiasm, I was ready for school long before I needed to leave. With nothing to do, I decided to head out.

When I got to school, I took a quick glance at my watch, "Damn, it's only eight o'clock!" I laughed at my idiocy and walked into the classroom to set up for the day. When I opened the door, I was surprised to see someone already in there. I wasn't acquainted with the boy, but he had unusual spiritual pressure that differed from that of a soul reaper. I couldn't put my finger on it.

"Good morning," I said as I looked up from my desk. He turned to me from the desk next to mine with slight confusion in his features.

"Kukiko Fuyu; why would you start speaking to me now of all times?" I didn't expect that greeting from him. It barely even classified as a greeting.

"I don't know; maybe because there is no one else to talk to. Is there a problem with that?" He turned back to the front of the classroom with a sigh.

"Yes there is. Don't talk to me again." I gasped at how tactless he is and sigh in defeat. I stood up and headed outside towards a large tree I quite often escaped to. I climbed to some of the highest branches and that looked over the town. It was a large town but it was generally quiet with little trouble other than those of the spirit world.

"What an ass," I muttered as my thoughts circled around the guy from the classroom. "Oh well, it doesn't concern me." I closed my eyes, daydreaming about what my Zanpakuto's power could be. Aoi Tori translated to blue bird, which didn't give me much of a hint. "What could his power be?" I was interrupted by the bell, causing me to jump from the branch and head to class. I ran to the classroom and hurriedly took my seat.

I noticed Ichigo feebly trying to smile next to me and what little joy remained of my mood evaporated. Looking at my planner, my mood sunk at the sight of the date: June 16th. How I hadn't remembered, I didn't know. I shook my head, putting the thoughts at the back of my mind and focused on the rest of the day. I didn't want people to worry and neither did Ichigo, but I did a much better job at hiding my emotions than he did. Too focused on putting on a cheery face, Ichigo never noticed that no one ever fell for his act. I, on the other hand, knew how to cope with this situation. After all, I'd always been a player in the game of death.

I opened my sketchbook and let my mind wonder. I didn't know what I was sketching, but I needed a distraction from the irritatingly boring lecture that the teacher was providing. When the bell finally rang, after what felt like an eternity, I was brought to my senses to see my mother's face as she held a tulip with a gentle smile. I silently gasped as I studied every detail. "Why did I draw that?"

"Hey Kiko, are you okay?" I gazed up to see Tatsuki looking at me. "Kiko, you're crying." I brought my hand to my face only to feel the tears on my cheeks.

"I'm okay," I said as I hurriedly wiped them away.

"You won't be here tomorrow, right?" I hung my head low and nodded in response. "Say hi to your parents for me."

"Sure thing. I'm sure they'd like to hear about how your martial arts are going," I smiled.

"Don't stress yourself but trying to cheerful like that idiot over there."

"I hope he's okay."

"Worry about yourself," she put a gentle hand on my shoulder, "you try hard to stop people worrying but you need to worry about yourself more. Don't forget you're the one going through the tough time here."