Gemma

As night fell I started to worry. Dinner was taking longer than I thought. Dad decided to bring a "friend" from work.  That "friend" was yet another suitor for me to look at. I wish he would stop doing that.  He already knows that I hate it.

     When we finally finished, I cleaned up and made myself look tired.

" Dad I'm a bit tired so can we call it a bit early tonight? "

" Sure thing sweetheart.  I was beginning to feel the same way.  Goodnight. "

" Goodnight. "

     When he left the room I quickly got ready. Then I waited until I heard him hit the bed.  It has a distinctive sound.  A loud squeaky noise.  Then I waited two extra minutes to insure that he was asleep. 

     I walked out the door as quietly as possible.  Then I ran for the garden.  Dodging search lights and guardsmen.  When I got there Isaac was already there waiting for me. 

"Hey." I said as I caught my breath. 

" I was beginning to think that you'd never show up. " He answered. 

" Well I'm here now. " I sat down and started making a fire.

     “ What are you doing? " He asked

"Making a fire... so I can see you. "

I got the fire started and then I could see him. 

" There.  Much better. "

" How did you do that? " He asked

"Don't tell me that they don't teach this at camp? "

" No they don't. "

     " Really? "

" Really.  They just assume we know how. "

" That's dangerous.  Are they trying to kill you? "

" Sometimes it feels like it. "

"No wonder you're a bad trainee. " I joked.

He just laughed.  I really loved his laugh. It made me forget what was going on at home. 

     We talked about everything for hours on end.  Then I don't remember what happened next.