Here's the Scoop

Emily ran her fingers through her chestnut colored hair. The sensation of her fingers gently tugging at her hair soothed her as she tried to process all that happened that night. She recalled David's amber eyes - how intense they were when he had asked her to stay. He hasn't changed. She remembered how he asked her the same thing three years ago. She winced at the pain on her cheek. She picked up the ice bag Maddox had given her and placed it back on her face. He had gotten stronger, she acknowledged. Stronger but still slow.

She looked outside the window, a herd of motorcyclists zoomed by, their blurry headlights looking like shooting stars in the dark highway. She watched brightly lit buildings fade off into the distance, and felt her body relax knowing that there's no way that David could catch her for now. She eased into the leather seat of Maddox's SUV and glanced at Jefferson. He sat next to her, and even though his eyes remained closed, the rapid tapping of his foot let her know that he wasn't asleep. He hadn't said a word to her all night. She wondered how he felt. She wondered if he knew what a brave thing he had done. In front of her sat Maddox who was dramatically narrating what he had endured at the clutches of the Flaming Dragon and how he managed to form an escape plan to the driver.

Emily caught bits and pieces of the conversation. "I can't believe they recognized me. My mustache was extremely believable." "I knew I screwed up when they had me cornered in the stairwell." "I befriended the janitor. Even prison cells have janitors!" "Yup. Snuck out a message for me." For the most part, Emily's mind was preoccupied by something else. Well, more like, someone else. She had so many questions left unanswered. Answers she wish she could hear directly from him.

Why were you there? Why were you handcuffed? Did you recognize me? What were you thinking when you saw me fight David? Do you love Davina? Are you happy? Why haven't you been at school? Do you miss me?

The car slowed to a stop, and Emily's private game of 20 questions ended. "We're here," grinned Maddox as he turned around to face Emily. "My secret lair."

Emily looked outside. They were parked outside of a charming, ordinary residential neighborhood somewhere in Brooklyn.

"What a night," crowed Maddox as he thrust himself out of the SUV. He opened the back door for Emily and held out his hand for her.

"Oh, here's your backpack," said Emily as she grabbed his grey Hershel bag and placed it in his hand. He grinned as he swung the backpack onto his back, "no, that's not it; my hand is for you to hold." He extended it again. She shook her head at his cheekiness but grabbed his hand anyway. After all, this was the same hand that had gotten her away from being stuck in a pit full of dragons. She slid out of the car and Jefferson soon followed. Maddox punched in his password to the door, and they soon heard the click of the door unlocking. Maddox let out a loud sigh as he stepped inside.

"Home sweet home," he crooned in satisfaction. The light flickered on and Emily was surprised to see how homey it was inside. The whole house smelled like apples and cinnamon. Paintings of birds and butterflies were hung on the wall, and there were inspirational quotes tucked on every surface.

"Maddox, is that you?" Cried a gravelly voice from upstairs.

"Hi grandma," said Maddox loudly. "It's me."

Emily blinked back her surprise. She whispered to Maddox, "Is this your grandma's place?"

He nodded with a wide smile. "You'll love her," he mouthed silently. Emily blanched, "maybe we shouldn't be here."

He shook his head reassuringly.

"Look who finally decided to show up," said Maddox's grandma, her voice coming closer and closer. "Not one telephone call the last couple of days."