Have a Heart

Brent wandered around the gift store wondering where exactly Emily rushed off to when he suddenly caught sight of her. Jogging towards her, he called out loudly. "Emily!" She didn't stop and he caught up to her. He tapped her shoulder and when she turned around only to be the girl he saw last time, the one with the large brown eyes.

"Oh." Brent gave an awkward nod. "Sorry."

Candace blushed. It was Brent. The last time she had seen him, he had called her babe before quickly apologizing and leaving. He probably didn't remember a girl as plain as her with all the girls he was surrounded with, but for her, that one tiny encounter was etched into her brain.

He gave her a relaxed grin before greeting her. "Hey. I remember you. You're brown eyes."

Candace felt her heart flutter. "Um, sorry?"

He let out a laugh. "Oh, you know. Your eyes. They're these really soft chocolate-y brown eyes," he grinned.

She blushed profusely, "Oh, yeah."

"Sorry, I have this weird habit where I refuse to call people by their given names. If it bothers you, I can stop. But first, what's your real name?"

She looked at the extended hand shyly before shaking it. "Candace," she murmured.

"Sorry?"

"Candace." She said a bit louder.

"No need to yell," he joked. "Nice to meet you, babe. I apologize for before, I thought you were my friend. She kinda just disappeared on me."

Candace felt like jumping up and down but instead felt herself turn a bright red color and stammered, "N-nice to meet you too. And it's alright, I didn't think there would be someone who looks like me at our school. Cause you know everyone's so pretty and blonde and tall and I'm you know, short and stuff." She rambled before shutting herself up, and mentally shooting herself for being so awkward.

Brent laughed. "I know what you mean. I have to say brunettes are just about as rare as red heads in that school. And you're beautiful, I don't know what you're talking about."

Candace felt her heart reeling. Beautiful? She's beautiful? She felt herself turn dizzy.

"Anyways, what're you doing up here?" He asked.

She was doing the doe eye thing again, all innocent and marvel filled and he had to suppress a grin.

"I came with my friend that I met while studying abroad. It's her first time in the city."

He nodded. "Cool. It's an incredible view."

She nodded in agreement before asking timidly. "What're you doing here?"

"I was on a date." Candace felt a pang in her chest. "But she ditched me."

"Ditched you?" She said loudly, surprised that a girl would ditch someone as gorgeous as him. He laughed. "Yep! Big surprise huh? Leaving a gorgeous hunk like me. Man, and I wanted to check out the big apple a bit more." He gave her a joking wink but Candace mentally agreed giving him a rueful smile.

"If you want," Candace slowly began. "I can show you around a bit. My friend wouldn't mind either."

He grinned. "You'd do that?"

Suddenly Beethoven's 5th rang out and he pulled out his phone.

"Well speak of the devil." He read the message and a smirk grew wider on his face. Ah, he received one of Emily's ultra rare apologies.

Ice_Queen: Sorry. Something came up about Kyle and I ended up in a skating rink. U wanna join?

Brent_theBoss: Nah. Have fun! I found someone cool to hang out w/ I'll see you later(;