Protect your Heart

James twisted the ring on his finger nervously. His dark lashes were matted from his tears and everything was blurry. Never in his life had he ever been in a situation like this. He felt utterly helpless as he watched Lucas wriggle in pain on Emily's bed. His lean torso was damp with sweat and blood. His body went taut every time even at the gentlest touch.

James paced around the bed when Emily gave him a stern look, "Stop hovering. You're blocking the light." He quickly stepped back and felt his back press against the wall. He stumbled and sunk to the floor.

"Don't worry," Emily sighed as she wiped her forehead with the back of her hand. "He'll be fine."

James didn't find that reassuring at all. He was terrified. Lucas was the toughest person he knew. Yet, here he was - wounded and weak. Lucas caught his gaze, and James felt his breath hitch.

"I'm fine, you idiot," Lucas smirked - before turning away as he let out a loud groan. James felt his heart drop. This is all my fault. He thought bitterly. He sunk his head into his lap. The turmoil drained his thoughts - he felt his eyes water. He was so useless. Pathetic.

"Get your head out of the gutter, James," said Emily coolly - her back was turned to James and her eyes were still focused on Lucas. "Go bring me some ice and fill this basin with clean water."

James blinked back his tears and looked up. "O-okay," he said as he quickly stood up. "I'll be right back."

Emily nodded as she continued treating Lucas's wounds. She had asked him for those items not only because she needed them but she had a gut feeling that staying in here wouldn't do him any good. She worked with the precision of a surgeon as she poured alcohol into a wad of cotton before pressing it onto Lucas's wound. On his rib was a cut - 2 cm deep. Probably a Swiss knife. There was a bruise swelling on his nape. The one on his stomach was more serious - probably a popped blood vessel.

The damage done to his body today wasn't serious. The reason he was in so much pain was from a old wound. One that hadn't been cleaned or treated properly so much that it had festered and inflamed. She peeled back the dirty bandages and winced at the stench.

"This is going to hurt," she warned.

"Just do it," said Lucas while grimacing. Emily scraped off the puss and poured the bottle of alcohol onto the wound. Lucas muffled his scream with her pillow.

"The worst is over," she sighed as she quickly dabbed at it with a cool, clean cloth. "I'm going to stitch it up. Don't expect it to be pretty though."

Lucas breathed heavily as he mustered out, "its fine, I'm glad to see that idiot wasn't there to see that." He immediately knocked out and Emily left the room to tend to James.
xx

"Thank you," said James quietly, he traced his thumb around the rim of his mug. The warm steam from the cup billowed - keeping his fingers warm. Emily and James were sitting out on the patio. While the night was chilly, James preferred sitting in the dark like this. When he had returned with the items that Emily had requested, Lucas was sound asleep. At first, James thought Lucas had died. His face was so pale. When he heard a soft snore, he thought his heart would burst.

"It's nothing," she said.

"It's not nothing," James said firmly. "If it weren't for you, who knows what would've happened to Lucas." James knuckles turned white as he gripped his mug tightly.

"Is there anything you want to tell me?" Asked Emily.

James found himself dumbfounded by the simplicity of her question. Emily's dark green eyes didn't insinuate morbid curiosity or a demand for explanation. It was quite clear to James that she was asking was purely out of consideration.